Has my modem been cooked by my PSU?

Thread: Has my modem been cooked by my PSU?

Unhappy Has my modem been cooked by my PSU?

I was woken up by a sharp crack (like what I would expect a gunshot to sound like); the computer had been in standby. When I went to turn it on I was disgusted that it didn't start. I had a quick swear and decided a capacitor must have blown in the PSU. (In actual fact, what looked like a FET had ripped itself apart and was now in 2 parts in the PSU!)

Checked the m/board in case it had blown, but it looked ok, so off I went and got a new PSU. Fine, installed and still didn't work. Was just about to throw the whole thing out the window when I thought about the fuse in the plug...sure enough it had gone too. No probs. Replaced and off we went.

When the computer booted, I had to reinstall a couple of devices, in particular the modem. I thought nothing of this as I'd had all the cards out to check them for damage. This is where the trouble began...

Now, when I connect to the internet, my connection only lasts a maximum of 5 minutes - more often than not, it's more like 30 seconds. I've queried the modem and it chats back to me, I've uninstalled and reinstalled it, deleted connections and created them again and hell I've even rebuilt the IP stack.

Now I get to my question, could the PSU blowing fry the modem? All the other cards are fine (or at least they work ok at the moment). I don't have any viruses and windows is up-to-date. The modem is a SupraExpress 56i Pro VCC V92 (SUP2761). I think I could be investing in a surge bar for Xmas too .

Yup perfectly possible. The usual thing is for the modem to work, but never connect. Put another modem in there to check... I just had a quick dig, Is this the one?.
    Last edited by NooNoo; December 12th, 2003 at 04:03 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Yup perfectly possible. The usual thing is for the modem to work, but never connect. Put another modem in there to check... I just had a quick dig, Is this the one?.
    I'm not sure. Diamond got sold off to someone else so there page isn't exactly handy. It certainly runs on a conexant chipset and is a HCF model. Don't have a spare modem running about so I would have to buy one. Just trying to save some expenditure though...it could be better spent on beers.

Out of interest, could this be caused by software problems or if someone had acquired my login? I haven't personally changed anything within windows other than rebuilding the IP stack...perhaps something nasty happened there when my FET woke me up!

Maybe there's nohing really wrong at all, & when you pulled devices the irqs got jumbled, is your modem sharing now ?

What I'd say rather than putting another modem in your system, is put your modem in another system to check, otherwise if its some acpi or irq issue you won't know what is 'broke' ...

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Maybe there's nohing really wrong at all, & when you pulled devices the irqs got jumbled, is your modem sharing now ?

What I'd say rather than putting another modem in your system, is put your modem in another system to check, otherwise if its some acpi or irq issue you won't know what is 'broke' ...
    I had initially thought that. Unfortunately, I don't have access to another PC I can test the modem in...my flatmates all have laptops and I don't think the uni would be too chuffed if I took one of their machines to bits. To check all the same, I uninstalled the modem tonight and moved round the cards in the computer (when I put them back in the first time, they all went in the same places so I don't know why stupid old windows decided to redetect other than if the modem was bust). This changed the IRQ as I would have expected but it hasn't helped much.

The guy in the local computer shop claimed that the modem was always the first thing to go if anything happens to the voltages. True or a load of rubbish to get me to buy one of their rediculously overpriced pieces of junk? They did sell me quite a nice new PSU with coloured fans though. I'm impressed. lol

A new pci modem is £10, will your scotch pockets not run to that ?

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    A new pci modem is £10, will your scotch pockets not run to that ?
    Ah we have a joker in our midst. I have acquired a modem from some relatives that seems to work perfect...pity it's software. I will give them their one back and go get a nice hardware one next week (although not the expensive one the local shop was offering).

As a point to note: £10 = 5 beers or 10 vodkas in the Glasgow drinking establishments. I thought it was better to make sure the modem was broken before missing out on that amount of drink. As for the Scottish expenditure, I'm an Aberdonian at heart so that's even worse than just a normal Scot for spending money. I don't understand why we get the reputation anyhow...

5 beers for a tenner, Ed, we are going north!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    5 beers for a tenner, Ed, we are going north!
    You can go anywhere with me honey ... if there's BEER too then that's