Sprint DSL Router Installation

Thread: Sprint DSL Router Installation

Talking Sprint DSL Router Installation

Hi Gang,

I have a job coming up next week and I'm looking for a little background information before I jump into $%#@ up to my eyeballs.

Our area is mostly serviced by cable companies and I do many router installs each week. However, there is a small area that I work in that has Sprint DSL. I am installing a simple 2 workstation peer-to-peer network for a DSL customer and I need a little help on setting up his internet. The client has Sprint DSL with the Sprint Zyxel 645M modem/router. I normally use a Linksys Router. Would it be easier in this case to simply use a switch or is a router the better choice? Can anyone walk me threw the process or direct me to a site that has a detailed set of instructions on setting up this type of network? I've been to Sprints site and it offers nothing regarding this type of installation.

Thanks in advance!!
    WildTech
    Unless your the lead dog, the view never changes!

If the modem is also a router it will be doing dhcp for you. Just saves you a box, if its only a one port, then connect it to a switch, not another router.

When you say "this type of network" it is no different from cable, only that the modem plugs into the wall/telephone jack.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks NooNoo!

What I meant by "this type of network" was how the modem settings would be effected. When you replace a cable modem with a router you must run the SAS commands and actually replace the cable modems mac address with the routers throught the cable company. This registers the routers mac address as a legitimate user. Will I need to run any commands with the Sprint application if I hook into it with a switch?? Will I need to reset anything in the Sprint cable modem/router to allow multiple users??

Thanks for the reply!
    WildTech

The 645M is a modem only, if it has an R at the end of the number, it is usually a modem/router. If it is the M series, then your router will be doing everything for the machines. If is the R series, once it is set up, you can assign ip adresses to each machine, and go from there. I've got 7 machines on one of the R series, mixture of 98SE and XP.

Thanks Swamprat

The modem doesn't have an R on the front, but it does say that it is a modem/router on the bottom.

Will I have to do anything special to setup this modem router? I plan on using a switch.

Thanks!!
    WildTech