A7V8X-MX motherboard
    AMD Duron 1.4 GHZ CPU
    250watt power supply
    256mb Apacer DDR2100 memory
    Western Digital 20gb hard drive
    USR internal modem
    CD-ROM Drive
    Floppy drive

Ok, now that that's out of the way, here's what's going on. When I press the power button to power it up, it comes on for about 2 seconds, then turns off for a second, then powers back on, and will come up ok. Also, when I shut down Windows (WinXP Pro), it goes to the "It's now safe to turn off your machine" screen, but when I press the power button, nothing happens. I have to hold the button for 5 or 6 seconds to get it to turn off. I have the power button set to "Instant Off" in the bios, and the rest are the fail safe settings. Any ideas on what's going on? Thanks

Have you tried another PSU?
    XP should not be giving you the "It's now safe..." screen, it should just turn off.
    ATX instant off is via power button is almost never "instant".
    The list of customers I have who say the power button does not work and they must unplug continues to grow.
    Seems hardly anyone knows they must hold it in for four/five seconds until told.
    First try this (and do not change the ACPI setting in bios), take all cards out but the video and boot into windows and try again and tell us what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Have you tried another PSU?
    XP should not be giving you the "It's now safe..." screen, it should just turn off.
    ATX instant off is via power button is almost never "instant".
    The list of customers I have who say the power button does not work and they must unplug continues to grow.
    Seems hardly anyone knows they must hold it in for four/five seconds until told.
    First try this (and do not change the ACPI setting in bios), take all cards out but the video and boot into windows and try again and tell us what happens.
    ok, I already tried that. I took out the modem (which is the only card in the system) and tried it. Same results. I unplugged the CD-rom from the system. Same results. I have to check the PSU voltages tonight to see what they are. Windows XP should most definately shut down on it's own, but for some reason it's not doing it. Anyway, I'll let you know what I find tonight. In the mean time, if anyone has any other suggestions, please feel free to post. Thanks

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Go to the device manager, click view then show hidden devices, and if its there, enable legacy nt/apm
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Ok....just tested it out. No go. I put my power supply in there, which is a Thermaltake 360watt, and it did all the same things. I even cleared the CMOS, and re-flashed the bios to see if that was the reason for the turn-off, and back on thing. Apparently it wasn't. I then tried putting my memory in there, which was a stick of crucial DDR2700 512mb. Did all the same things. I am starting to thing that maybe the processor is bad. I will test that tomorrow. Anyone with any other suggestions? Thanks

Nobody?

Quote Originally Posted by teksup95
    Nobody?
    Did you try what I suggested?
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

look in device manager, under computer, what type of computer is listed there?

Sounds like you have acpi disabled in bios, or xp has found a wrinkle in the bios programming it doesn't like.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yes, I tried all of your suggestions. The computer now shuts down on it's own when I select shutdown. So that's cool.

The problem that I am still having, though, is when I power the machine on, it powers itself back off, and then on again every time. Anyone with suggestions on what might be causing that?

Hmmm, I would first try resetting the bios to failsafe and then turn things on one by one and see what happens

I tried that. I also tried clearing the bios, re-flashing the bios, and even removing the mobo from the case, and powering it up on a static-free surface with minimum peripherals plugged in. Notta.....

when you say it turns itself off, does the whole thing turn off and then restart at the initial screen again, or does the monitor go off but the power led on the case stays on?
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

The whole thing powers down. I can hear the fans turn off, and everything.

right click on my computer, choose advanced, and then startup and recovery..make sure that automatically restart is unchecked. Also, check the event viewer to see if there are any interesting things there
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

The problem with that idea is that the system has not even had a chance to POST yet when this happens, so I don't see where it would be an OS controlled item.....