A7V8X-MX motherboard
    AMD Duron 1.4 GHZ CPU
    250watt power supply
    256mb Apacer DDR2100 memory
    Western Digital 20gb hard drive
    USR internal modem
    CD-ROM Drive
    Floppy drive

Ok, now that that's out of the way, here's what's going on. When I press the power button to power it up, it comes on for about 2 seconds, then turns off for a second, then powers back on, and will come up ok.
    Pull the memory out and see if it will POST without doing what you said. I know, you'll get error beeps but try it. Another thing you could try is going to Radio Shack and buying an intermitent push button switch for $2 and hooking 2 wires to it and hooking that up to where your system power switch hooks to your motherboard with 2 small insulated hook clips, you could have a sticky switch in your case.
    "Oh my beloved Ice Cream Bar, how I love to lick your creamy center" - Ren

One of my initial troubleshooting steps was to pull the memory out my my other machine, which I know works, and try it in this computer. It did the same thing. I did the same with the processor, and the power supply as well....

Quote Originally Posted by teksup95
    One of my initial troubleshooting steps was to pull the memory out my my other machine, which I know works, and try it in this computer. It did the same thing. I did the same with the processor, and the power supply as well....
    First you said that the PC now shuts down fine from within Windoze.
    Now you say it will turn off as soon as you turn it on.
    So, can you get into Windows at all anymore?
    And, if so, how many of these failed power on's does it take to actually boot up properly?
    Can you get into windows or not?
    Is what you describe only random?

From gaseous clouds forming around Uranus
    Who knows, maybe your motherboard doesn't like the Duron since it wasn't even designed to use the Duron. AMD doesn't even recommend the use of this motherboard with Durons. From ASUS site -

This VIA KM400 chipset-based motherboard is just the right solution for Socket A 2.25GHz+ Athlon XP processors. With quality graphics right out of the box and industry-leading technology such as AGP 8X and DDR333, the A7V8X-MX is a value-rich motherboard.

CPU Socket A for AMD Athlon XP/ Thoroughbred/Barton up to 2.25GHz+
    Chipset VIA KM400
    VIA VT8235 CE
    Front Side Bus 333/266/200MHz
    Memory 2 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 2GB PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 non-ECC DDR SDRAM memory
    VGA Integrated VIA UniChrome Graphics
    Expansion Slots 1 x AGP 8X/4X
    3 x PCI
    IDE 2 x UltraDMA 133/100/66
    Audio ADI AD1980 6-channel CODEC
    LAN VIA VT6103 10/100 Mbps Ethernet PHY
    USB Max. 6 USB2.0 ports
    Special Features -Power Loss Restart

Maybe the BIOS is detecting irregularities with the voltage it's supplying to the processor and then restarts itself after saying to itself, yup, that's the voltages alright.
    "Oh my beloved Ice Cream Bar, how I love to lick your creamy center" - Ren

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    First you said that the PC now shuts down fine from within Windoze.
    Now you say it will turn off as soon as you turn it on.
    So, can you get into Windows at all anymore?
    And, if so, how many of these failed power on's does it take to actually boot up properly?
    Can you get into windows or not?
    Is what you describe only random?

Ok, if you read my original post, I said that it shuts off right after I turn it on. I ALSO said that it wouldn't shut down from within Windows. That problem is now resolved, but the problem with the shutdown upon powerup remains. It is not an intermittent thing, it happens EVERY TIME. It could very well be what 3D Prophet described. I bought the board from Newegg.com, and on that site, it listed the Duron as one of the supported processors, but if AMD doesn't list it, maybe that's it. I am going to try another board as soon as I can get my hands on one, so I'll post the results. Thanks for all your help guys.

Try changing your powerswitch. I have the same mainboard and I thought the switch was stuffed so I changed it over to the restart switch and that seems to work fine now.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Braindead`
    Try changing your powerswitch. I have the same mainboard and I thought the switch was stuffed so I changed it over to the restart switch and that seems to work fine now.

Another post has risen from the dead........
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-