ANOTHER Video Card question
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ANOTHER Video Card question

ANOTHER Video Card question

OK I haven't been keeping up with all this GeForce 4 stuff... What is the difference in all the series? Like MX series versus FX series. When last I paid close attention the Ti series was debatably the best one. Is this still true? If you had a choice to bring in decently priced Geforce4 vid cards ( and by decently, I mean like 79.99 to 149.99 or thereabouts) which ones would you choose?
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Is this a question based on gaming results/abilities?
    Since it seems so, I pass and will let the gamers here help ya.

It's based on all around everything but with a little more emphasis on the gaming as I'm guessing just about any geforce card functions pretty close to the same in windows... just trying to get the idea about which is the better series and perhaps which is the better card within the series... a customer asked me and I wasn't sure what to say to him... and I don't have any geforce4 in stock I don't have the nifty little abilities that are usually printed on the box

PS I'm aware of ATI Radeons, and their reported superiorit but I'm just looking at GeForce 4 cards right now.
    Last edited by arch0nmyc0n; December 12th, 2003 at 03:07 PM.
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

just fyi, it goes: geforce 3, geforce 4, geforce FX.....The mx cards are acutally the lower line in each category..except for the FX line....The fx line uses a ultra and non ultra label. The ultra being the higher end cards for gaming and such. If you want to really find out how the cards stack up...check out www.tomshardware.com. They explain everything there in full detail.

\kermit
    **Time is fun when you are having flies. - Kermit the Frog**

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit D. Frog
    just fyi, it goes: geforce 3, geforce 4, geforce FX.....The mx cards are acutally the lower line in each category..except for the FX line....The fx line uses a ultra and non ultra label. The ultra being the higher end cards for gaming and such. If you want to really find out how the cards stack up...check out www.tomshardware.com. They explain everything there in full detail.

\kermit
    LOL thanks... I COMPLETELY forgot about Tom!
    I'd still like to hear about personal perceptions about the cards tho...

well if you are talking about gaming video cards (non ati), my pick right now for the price would be the FX 5600 ultra...they're a little on the pricey side (about $200) but they're not too far behind the top end cards. The geforce 4 TI4600 is a good card, I personally use one in my gaming machine. But for the extra $50 or so, you get more speed, higher direct x support, and all around higher graphics support with the fx 5600 ultra.

\kermit

...error...
    Last edited by dr_jones; December 13th, 2003 at 07:09 PM.
    E R R O R...
    ------------------------------->

ive gone through maybe 20 graphics cards in the last couple of months and the ati cards have this time round been the faster better priced models....

the 9600pro is very good for the price and i would recommend it over the fx 5600 pro/ultra..

forget brand loyality(if that is what you have).. just do your bit.. ive had many nvidia cards over the past years and have fully supported them, this point in time however ati has it,

anyway do a google search for 'shader days' gabe from valve software, responsible for the upcomming half life 2 has a lot to say about the current nvidia range of cards.. and im afraid it isnt good.. and i have to agree
    E R R O R...
    ------------------------------->

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    The MX are complete garbage for gaming, at least in the GF 4 line, the older GF 2 MX were almost decent, but the GF 4 mx are smelly turds for gaming.

The FX 5600 is an ok card, but with the 5900 non ultra's coming in at under $200, its almost not worth it NOT to get it
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Quote Originally Posted by Radical Dreamer
    The MX are complete garbage for gaming, at least in the GF 4 line, the older GF 2 MX were almost decent, but the GF 4 mx are smelly turds for gaming.

The FX 5600 is an ok card, but with the 5900 non ultra's coming in at under $200, its almost not worth it NOT to get it
    100% with Mr Dreamer

Dont buy any MX card. They're poo. Take for example the Geforce 4 MX ??? You might fork out £50 for one (65 dollars?) But you could get a Geforce 3 Ti500 still seeing them around. For about the same money and it will spank an MX card on its ... :butt:

As was already mentioned though, you might as well go to see uncle tomshardware because it's all there in black, white and truck loads of shiny blinky banners.
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.

Video

I wanted both a card to game and a card to do video in and out. I got a HIS 9600
    PRO Excaliber Radeon for just over 200.00 Can. So thats about 150.00 US Its an unbelievable card with memory speed of 400/300. Havent run into a game it doesnt play and play very welll. Original Ati of course is slighly better but hey for that price I dont have any loyalties
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

I have to agree on the ATI stuff....with the 9800 pro coming in at only 300 bucks....you can't beat it!!

\kermit

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit D. Frog
    I have to agree on the ATI stuff....with the 9800 pro coming in at only 300 bucks....you can't beat it!!

\kermit
    Heh ONLY $300? Some of us don't have the luxury of an extra $300 CDN floating around. But at least I can see the MX cards are not popular. Comparing a GeForce2 MX400 64 Mb SD (2 years old) to a GeForce 4 MX480 64Mb DDR (brand new)... what would you choose?

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    Heh ONLY $300? Some of us don't have the luxury of an extra $300 CDN floating around. But at least I can see the MX cards are not popular. Comparing a GeForce2 MX400 64 Mb SD (2 years old) to a GeForce 4 MX480 64Mb DDR (brand new)... what would you choose?

Well, put it this way, the GF 2 MX was the same chip just clocked lower, however the GF 4 MX line ISNT the same chip, and its NOT clocked anywhere close, it doesnt have the pixel shaders or anything. GF 3 Ti or the Ati8500 are the best bet. BTW, the GF 4 MX is only slightly better than the GF 2 MX
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Neither

I dont like nvidia drivers much ATI seems to have conquered the flaky drivers issue with the catalyts being very nice sets of drivers. The other alternative drivers from Omegacorners are also very very nice
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html