Locked Out!

Thread: Locked Out!

Red face Locked Out!

I have locked myself out of my toy Red Hat Box, version 8.x.

I haven't played with it for so long that I have forgotten the accounts and passwords that I set up on it.

I will probably have to re-install -- no biggie...

I am wondering what I should install?

I have always played with Red Hat. Should I do 9.0?

Should I try something else?

Recommendations?

I just installed Slackware 9.1 on my main box (Win2K was getting buggy as anything) and it's pretty much blowing me away - its fast, very fast. It's also forcing me to learn about compiling programs and generally how Linux works - there's no RPM's or anything to make life easy.

If you have a few days spare, you might want to try Gentoo 1.4 I tried that this weekend and it literally took 2 days just to get to a command prompt - thats why I ended up with Slackware - took 30 minutes to get up and running

Good luck
    Bollocks

Quote Originally Posted by Titchski
    If you have a few days spare, you might want to try Gentoo 1.4 I tried that this weekend and it literally took 2 days just to get to a command prompt
    Two days to get to a command prompt???
    You might want to try it on something other than a x286 box.

Quote Originally Posted by Titchski
    there's no RPM's or anything to make life easy.
    Not true. If you get the noarch.rpm files you can install them on slack (or any linux flavor that supports rpms). Just my 0.02.

I think I'm gonna mess around with gentoo though. That is pretty sweet that it compiles to your system and doesn't use a bloated pre-fabbed kernel. Eh we'll see.

If you liked redhat then check out fedora. It is the replacement for redhat prosumer os. It is developed by volunteers but basically it is redhat 10.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

no no no, rpm suck oh man I ahte them worst thing ever. Just get src and compile it, or get slack packages you know slackware has a packenger ya?

love slack, great distro

Quote Originally Posted by +Daemon+
    no no no, rpm suck oh man I ahte them worst thing ever. Just get src and compile it, or get slack packages you know slackware has a packenger ya?

love slack, great distro
    Agreed but I was just making a point
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

at the LILO prompt do "linux single" and change the root password. GRUB is near the same thing.

try here: http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...ng-single.html

also you can boot a rescue from the first redhat disk, mount the old fs and change the root password.

~Chris

Quote Originally Posted by houseisland
    I have locked myself out of my toy Red Hat Box, version 8.x.

I haven't played with it for so long that I have forgotten the accounts and passwords that I set up on it.

I will probably have to re-install -- no biggie...

I am wondering what I should install?

I have always played with Red Hat. Should I do 9.0?

Should I try something else?

Recommendations?

imagoon,

I will try your suggestions. I am always up for learning something new.

I may re-install something newer anyway, though.

I have always liked Red Hat, because I am an eye-candy sucker -- Yes, shamefully I confess. Hey, I have even come to like the Fisher-Price look of XP. The GUIs for a lot of Linux distributions have looked really crappy -- I know that the visual appearance of the GUI has little or nothing to do with an OS's stability, security, etc., but.... Red Hat has always looked so nice.

imagoon,

Luckily I could remember the grub password. Why, I do not know.

Anyway, I was able to change the root password.

Thank you.

If you have a few days spare, you might want to try Gentoo 1.4 I tried that this weekend and it literally took 2 days just to get to a command prompt
    Any first time gentoo installer should use the stage3 with the Gentoo Refrence Platform you should be up and running in about an hour. Honestly it is a waste The first time to try any other stage unless you are used to setting cflags. The first time I installed Gentoo I didnt change anything in my make.conf except -march=pentium3.

It really is the best distro that I have tried so far, It may take alot of time for the inital install but after that it is actually quicker for me to compile the source than to search ftp mirror after ftp mirror for some dependency RPM.