Study tip

Thread: Study tip

Study tip

A quick tip:

I'm currently studying for my MCSA/MCSE 2003 upgrade exams. To run the practices in the book I am using Microsoft Virtual PC 2004. I'm finding it excellent as I don't have a couple of spare servers and a LAN lying around!

Cheers,

Mike

Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 for anyone who can't work google

So this is like VMWare only not as good as it only runs windoze stuff (VMware lets you 'imagine' linux too )

Any good ? Well obviously or it wouldn't be a tip ! But in comparisson ... or don't you know ?

(I shall have to 'procure' myself a copy of this ! ... only out on December 2nd last year)

I've not used VMWare so I can't comment.

BTW, it runs all Windows flavours, DOS, Linux and even OS2 (I've only tried it with XP, 2K3 and Longhorn). Microsoft bought out the company that developed it. I don't think they like to talk about the Linux bit though ;-).

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTurley
    ... it runs all Windows flavours, DOS, Linux and even OS2..
    .. I'm sure that's the way uncle Bill reads matters too !

Ta for telling me it runs 'everything' ... next time I visit a client with a 'select' license (one of those where they can have every bit of M$ s/w 'free' - for a big fat fee!) ... I shall have to convince them that I need to 'borrow' a copy to test something for them

I used Virtual PC 5.2 when I was taking my MCSE2000 exams about a year ago and I actually liked it better than the VMWare alternative. I also had an easier time installing Redhat 9 on Virtual PC due to a video issue with whatever card VMWare emulates. I also noticed that after MS took over Connectix the option to setup a linux VM in VPC2004 was removed instead it just says "Other" in the OS selection menu. Now if they could emulate a mac, that would really be cool. Then you could test the interoperability between the PC and Mac environment without spening a few grand on a Mac system.
    I'm a rage-aholic! I just can't live without rage-ahol! -Homer Simpson