Upgrading Exhange 2000 to Exchange 2003

Thread: Upgrading Exhange 2000 to Exchange 2003

Upgrading Exhange 2000 to Exchange 2003

I'm try to upgrade the Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003. I have run setup/forestprep and then setup/domainprep without a problem. I then run "setup" and get this error message "The component M$ exhange messaging and collaboration services cannot be assigned the action upgrade because all active directory connectors in the windows forest must be upgraded to the current version before you can upgrade M$ Exchange". Where can I do this upgrade? Is it through DCpromo? Wouldn't I lose all the configurations if I do this? Thanks, the release notes are of no help.
    Dyslexics of the world..UNTIE!

doh!

I just had to go to the ADC directory of the Exchange 2003 setup and upgrade from there. All is well for now.

If you don't have Exchange 5.5 you can lose the ADC. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

it's too late!

Darn. Should have read that before (but I am going to read it, anyway). It doesn't hurt having it does it?

Quote Originally Posted by amyb
    Darn. Should have read that before (but I am going to read it, anyway). It doesn't hurt having it does it?
    If it's working correctly it shouldn't hurt anything. When it 2000 first came out we had a hell of time getting it to sync properly with Exchange 5.5. When the time comes to upgrade to server 2003 it might be easier to just uninstall it though. I thought I read something about this in the release notes of server 2003 but I can't find it now..

AmyB - Let me know how it goes for you with the upgrade. It's something I'm going to be undertaking in the next few months. I feel like I'm flying blind.
    Vote DrewmazTech for President!

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by drewmaztech
    AmyB - Let me know how it goes for you with the upgrade. It's something I'm going to be undertaking in the next few months. I feel like I'm flying blind.
    So far, it's been fine.

Quote Originally Posted by drewmaztech
    I upgraded a DC with Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 about two months ago. Two weeks ago I noticed that my other DC is locking up. I've been too busy to troubleshoot it yet though. There could be a problem with the way 2003 changes AD or it could just be a problem with the RAID controller. I was getting the occasional error on the RAID controller before...

the thing I have noticed..

Now that I have upgraded, I have noticed (on the actual server that runs Exchange), that I can't access OWA anymore. I am denied access (I'm the admin for god's sake). I can, however, access OWA on my workstation. I'm trying to read through documents if anything had changed during installation. Not a biggie, but annoying.