Code 10 Error - USB Mass Storage Drive
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Code 10 Error - USB Mass Storage Drive

Code 10 Error - USB Mass Storage Drive

When I plug in the USB Mass Storage Drive into my USB port it finds the hardware and installs drivers for it but will not detect it in MY Computer. Also when I go to Device Manager and check the properties it shows that there is a Code 10 Error. I can't mess with the resources and was wondering if there was a patch out there for this. If anyone knows the answer to this I'd appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebitch100
    When I plug in the USB Mass Storage Drive into my USB port it finds the hardware and installs drivers for it but will not detect it in MY Computer. Also when I go to Device Manager and check the properties it shows that there is a Code 10 Error. I can't mess with the resources and was wondering if there was a patch out there for this. If anyone knows the answer to this I'd appreciate your help.
    Welcome to Windrivers littlebitch100.
    ...no comment on that.
    Anyway, give us an idea on what hardware you have :PC make and brand of USB storage device.
    External HDD or what.
    XP sp1 should be installed for any USB 2.0 devices.
    Is this what it is.
    Once everything is up to speed, once you install the USB drive it is as you have seen installed automatically.
    If it is an extenal drive and has never been initialized, you will need to do that in the Disk Management MMC, and then set it up with a drive letter.
    So what in fact are we dealing with here and do you have USB 2.0 and XP service pack 1 installed?

Sounds like you have a problem with the USB controller and hub.. Is it showing up in device manager? What windows are we talking here?

Is the machine a brand name like compaq or hp? If so which exact model please?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Try:
    - updating your motherboard chipset drivers
    - update your BIOS

If the first one works, no need to try the second.

Same problem

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Sounds like you have a problem with the USB controller and hub.. Is it showing up in device manager? What windows are we talking here?

Is the machine a brand name like compaq or hp? If so which exact model please?
    I have a Compac Presario X1000 series laptop which too cannot recognize my IOmega 80 GB External USB/Firewire HDD. The device driver fails with Error 10. Any idea how this can be fixed?

What's your OS?
    In addition to my previous suggestions, you can try installing Windows updates.

Microsoft's pages often hit it on the mark, but sometimes are significantly off. They simply say to get the latest service pack.

Here's a USB site:
    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Error%2...0Explained.htm

This error can also, apparently, be caused by plugging a a USB2 device into a USB 1.2 port.
    Marketing has destroyed much of the faith in USB2 because they are hyping USB2.0 full-speed and USB2.0 hi-speed. One is actually USB1.2 as wrapped in the USB2.0 specification which, like a rose by any other color, is still slow USB1.2.
    Forget about backward-compatible. Supposed-to-be doesn't seem to pan out.
    (Also, USB2.0 at the alleged 480Mbps is much slower than Firewire at 400Mbps.) The USB specification and implementation is a mess. It usually works, and it sure beats the "dark ages" of floppy disks and serial cables!
    Make certain you're plugged into a USB2.0 port with USB2.0 devices. A USB1.2 keyboard with a builtin hub will only dish out USB1.2, even if you plug the keyboard into a USB 2.0 port.
    Also, only adapter-powered hubs will dish out USB2.0 power.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by JeffO93
    What's your OS?
    In addition to my previous suggestions, you can try installing Windows updates.

Microsoft's pages often hit it on the mark, but sometimes are significantly off. They simply say to get the latest service pack.

Here's a USB site:
    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Error%2...0Explained.htm

This error can also, apparently, be caused by plugging a a USB2 device into a USB 1.2 port.
    Marketing has destroyed much of the faith in USB2 because they are hyping USB2.0 full-speed and USB2.0 hi-speed. One is actually USB1.2 as wrapped in the USB2.0 specification which, like a rose by any other color, is still slow USB1.2.
    Forget about backward-compatible. Supposed-to-be doesn't seem to pan out.
    (Also, USB2.0 at the alleged 480Mbps is much slower than Firewire at 400Mbps.) The USB specification and implementation is a mess. It usually works, and it sure beats the "dark ages" of floppy disks and serial cables!
    Make certain you're plugged into a USB2.0 port with USB2.0 devices. A USB1.2 keyboard with a builtin hub will only dish out USB1.2, even if you plug the keyboard into a USB 2.0 port.
    Also, only adapter-powered hubs will dish out USB2.0 power.
    Hey Jeff,

First off, thanks for your reply.

The things I've done are:

1. Got the latest updates from Compaq (including BIOS) for my X1000.
    2. Uptodate on my Windows updates. (I Have XP Pro with SP1)
    3. Even tried some software I found on the iOmega website!

No avail yet ... still get Error 10. BTW, the site you pointed to says

"The information in this article applies to:

* Microsoft Windows 95
    * Microsoft Windows 98
    * Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
    * Microsoft Windows 2000 Data Center Server
    * Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
    * Microsoft Windows 2000 Server"

This still valid for XP Pro?

Yes I know USB Spec and Implementations are a mess, I contrubuted to it in the early stages of my career ;-)

Are there any other leads I can work on?

Thanks,
    Swami

It sounds like you've done everything right, and this problem falls through the problem-solving cracks.
    But there is something else to try:
    In Device Manager, delete everything under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and then power off your computer. Then power up again.
    Since Windows likes to help you by reinstalling, this might be a real trick to get shut down before XP "helps" you. Not sure the power-down will help, but cold boots sometimes are the ticket.
    When you reboot, make sure it all plugged-n-played correctly and try your device again.

I wonder if something got unregistered?
    If you kill the Device Manager instances and then reinstall the hubs, then hopefully, if any registry keys are damaged, they will get repaired when they PnP.

It sounds like you've done everything right, and this problem falls through the problem-solving cracks.
    Code 10 means no resources available ... maybe everyone so far is coming at this from the wrong angle ? & its our old friend acpi at work ..

If you open device manager & click 'view by resources' it gives you a list of IRQs & used memory ranges - what's showing there for usb & also particularly, what's using the same resources ?

You could be doing everything right to fix it, but if its some other errant driver or a sharing issue (that's what acpi does among other things) .. then we'll go around & around .

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Code 10 means no resources available ... maybe everyone so far is coming at this from the wrong angle ? & its our old friend acpi at work ..

If you open device manager & click 'view by resources' it gives you a list of IRQs & used memory ranges - what's showing there for usb & also particularly, what's using the same resources ?

You could be doing everything right to fix it, but if its some other errant driver or a sharing issue (that's what acpi does among other things) .. then we'll go around & around .
    Hello,

I think I have the same kind of problem except that my external harddrive was working properly till yesterday. But now, it does not appear any more in My computer, either in Computer Management / Computer storage. In the unplug harware menu, I get a "Code 10 etc...".
    I really don't know what to do. Thanks to everybody who could help !

So welcome to windrivers liolebo.

Lots of stuff is suggested already in this thread , what have you tried ? Or do you need talking through all the options ?

This is just a suggestion, but could it be possible that legacy usb support is enabled in the bios? If so disable it. Or if it's alreay disabled, then try enabling it. I had a similar problem when I built my current pc a few weeks back. I couldn't get teh keyboard/mouse to work for the life of me until I discovered that option.

Also, perhaps try unplugging it>reboot pc>once xp finishes loading plug in ext hdd to a different port while in current XP session>let XP "re-find" the drivers>check system properties and establish no errors or disabled items>reboot one more time just for the heck of it>then check it again.
    Hello World

Question

Quote Originally Posted by WebHead
    This is just a suggestion, but could it be possible that legacy usb support is enabled in the bios? If so disable it. Or if it's alreay disabled, then try enabling it. I had a similar problem when I built my current pc a few weeks back. I couldn't get teh keyboard/mouse to work for the life of me until I discovered that option.

Also, perhaps try unplugging it>reboot pc>once xp finishes loading plug in ext hdd to a different port while in current XP session>let XP "re-find" the drivers>check system properties and establish no errors or disabled items>reboot one more time just for the heck of it>then check it again.
    What is legacy USB support? What does enabling/disabling it achieve? And why is it in the BIOS settings?

It's in the bios so that you can run a usb keyboard and access the bios, so that you can use a usb mouse when doing a dos setup.... and even so that you can boot from a usb device.

legacy means "older technology"
    A floppy drive is legacy technology for example.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

i need some help to

[FONT=Impact] ok i need some help i'm getting a code 10 i uninstalled it then rebooted and it still didn't work, i don't know if my USB Ports are fried or what, but is there anything i can do to where it will work for me