NF7-S v2.0 Boot problems
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NF7-S v2.0 Boot problems

Unhappy NF7-S v2.0 Boot problems

Hi all.

I am in serious need of some help and to be honest with you if you answer this post then could you write with word I will understand as I am not great with computers.

Anyway just bought and installed an Abit Nf7-S v2.0 motherboard. Has AMD athlon 2400+ with fan. PC2700 and or PC2100 both 512Mb. Asus ti4600 graphic card. Windows Xp and 40gb maxtor hard drive. Normal nec dvd burner.
    Problem is that when loading of Windows begins the system crashes and restarts. Any ideas? Checked all through the manual and checked that all wires are in the correct place. Hard drive is on IDE1 and burner on IDE2. Ram has been moved and changed.
    So anyone have any advice?? Thanks in advance for your help all!

John

If you did not re-load Windows XP and the board you replaced was different, this is what happens.

You can try in in place repair but that likely won't work. Also the repair console may or may not work. You can try fixboot, fixmbr, and chkdsk.... You most likely will have to re-install.

Sorry for all the negativity, but I have recently been fighting this issue constantly. XP ties the hardware so tightly to the OS kernel that any drastic change is likely to cause a no-boot situation.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Quote Originally Posted by DocPC
    If you did not re-load Windows XP and the board you replaced was different, this is what happens.

You can try in in place repair but that likely won't work. Also the repair console may or may not work. You can try fixboot, fixmbr, and chkdsk.... You most likely will have to re-install.

Sorry for all the negativity, but I have recently been fighting this issue constantly. XP ties the hardware so tightly to the OS kernel that any drastic change is likely to cause a no-boot situation.

Oh right. Didn't know that. I did ask before buying if I would have to do that but I was promised that I wouldn't. Well guess all the info on the hard disk is lost then as I can't be bothered to change the motherboards back.

Anyway thanks alot for the quick response. Very helpful. And more importantly alot quicker than Abits customer "service!" Hehe. Thanks again.

John

Just one more question. Don't know if you know but I'll ask anyway. I have three sticks of 512mb ram. One pc2700 and two Pc2100. Can I put them all in at the same time and if so what order should I try? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DocPC

Too true, but usually the in place repair does indeed work.
    Give us more details Imprezz.
    What did you upgrade from?
    Tell us all your current hardware and what exactly, besides the MB is new.
    Also, start with nothing but the video card and one ram module:try the PC2100 first, just to eliminated other hardware being the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza_wrcsti
    . Well guess all the info on the hard disk is lost then as I can't be bothered to change the motherboards back.

John
    All is NOT lost.
    Try the steps that will be listed here John.
    Including what I just posted.

By the way:
    Welcome to Windrivers.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Too true, but usually the in place repair does indeed work.
    Give us more details Imprezz.
    What did you upgrade from?
    Tell us all your current hardware and what exactly, besides the MB is new.
    Also, start with nothing but the video card and one ram module:try the PC2100 first, just to eliminated other hardware being the problem.

Ok. The only thing that has been changed is the motherboard. From a MSI 6738. Thats it. All of the other parts are the same. This is the rest. Abit Nf7-S v2.0 motherboard. AMD athlon 2400+ with fan. PC2700 and or PC2100 both 512Mb. Asus ti4600 graphic card. Windows Xp Professional SP1 and 40gb maxtor hard drive. Normal nec dvd burner.
    Anything else?

Talking

By the way:
    Welcome to Windrivers.
    Thanks alot. Great welcome and nice email. Think I'm going to like it here!

So then lets do it this way:start with nothing but the video card and one ram module:try the PC2100 first, just to eliminate other hardware being the problem.
    You will need to do the in place repair booting from the XP cd.
    Do you know how to do this?

So then lets do it this way:start with nothing but the video card and one ram module:try the PC2100 first, just to eliminate other hardware being the problem.
    You will need to do the in place repair booting from the XP cd.
    Do you know how to do this?
    Yes I do know how to do that. Only problem being that my windows XP disc is at a friends house. Can't get it for a couple of days! Perhaps I can borrow one.

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza_wrcsti
    Yes I do know how to do that. Only problem being that my windows XP disc is at a friends house. Can't get it for a couple of days! Perhaps I can borrow one.
    No that won't work.
    Activation and all.
    What was your friend doing with it?
    You do realize that you can't pass XP around to share as you could with previous versions, right?
    Just wait until you get it back and then let us know.

No that won't work.
    Activation and all.
    What was your friend doing with it?
    You do realize that you can't pass XP around to share as you could with previous versions, right?
    Just wait until you get it back and then let us know.
    Yes I know about the rules concerning XP. He had an old computer and we were just trying xp on it. Nothing worse than that. Anyway thanks alot for your help and as soon as I get it back I will post here. :-)

Hi again. Just got my disc back and dicided to wipe my hard drive anyway. Installed new XP and everything is working like it should. So thanks all for your help.

But... hehe. I have a new problem. When I check on my computer it says I have only 1ghz processor. I have an athlon 2400+ 2ghz. Any ideas? Thanks.

John

Check for a 100MHZ-133MHZ FSB jumper on the board. Look at the manual for the location.

Or that setting may be in the BIOS.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!