Combining connections

Thread: Combining connections

Angry Combining connections

I had an adsl service, and i have 2 adsl modems,
    i was wandering is there anyway (windows xp) that i can use these two modems
    to make connections to my isp, and combine the connections.

Ok i know i cant get double the speed by adding the two modems but, i can increase downloads, it jus so happen that i saw the episode onscreensavers about binding two connections, the only problem is.
    the modems are USB, i.e. the telephone line goes to the modem, then the modem connects to the pc by USB. And yes its ordinary phone lines not cat5 (networking cable)
    Last edited by Fiv; December 22nd, 2003 at 12:46 PM.

Yup .... get another line !

The 'modem' (it isn't really on an adsl line as its all digital !) only controls what's in the pipe (line) putting two modems on the same line won't help any even if you can fathom how to make them both work, all you'd do is have two devices controlling a split pipe, the isp regulates the speed of the connection too ! So if you have an adsl connection of say 512k (this is fixed at the ISP end), having two modems connected to that means each modem only gets half that pipe, so you end up with 2x256 pipes instead of one 512k one ....

There are circumstances where it might be appropriate, but they are few & far between .... what are you trying to get ? Something for nothing? or something else ?

More explaination

Quote Originally Posted by Fiv
    I had an adsl service, and i have 2 adsl modems,
    i was wandering is there anyway (windows xp) that i can use these two modems
    to make connections to my isp, and combine the connections.
    Yes i understand that the conection speed will not increase, but am interested in how i can bind the 2 modems still. Not looking for increased speed

Go on then ... tell me what you are up to !

Actually check out TechTv.com. The screensavers did a bit about this the other day. I believe NetGear or someone has a router that accepts 2 WAN connections and has 4 LAN connections.

Phaeton

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton
    Actually check out TechTv.com. The screensavers did a bit about this the other day. I believe NetGear or someone has a router that accepts 2 WAN connections and has 4 LAN connections.

Phaeton
    true but as -ed says, you need two "lines" / "accounts" or whatever you want to call it from the ISP and in this scenario these devices typically do load balancing (unless they've come out with multiplexers that I don't know about - but it's doubtful.) your total available bandwidth to any one connection is still 1 line's worth (256kbps 512 kbps etc) I can see this device being useful to small / medium businesses who can have two DSL accounts routed / load balanced between 4 switches / hubs. . . . but otherwise the cost of the device and the extra account and modem would seem (at least to me) to outweigh any benefit to the home user.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Quote Originally Posted by kato2274
    true but as -ed says, you need two "lines" / "accounts" or whatever you want to call it from the ISP and in this scenario these devices typically do load balancing (unless they've come out with multiplexers that I don't know about - but it's doubtful.) your total available bandwidth to any one connection is still 1 line's worth (256kbps 512 kbps etc) I can see this device being useful to small / medium businesses who can have two DSL accounts routed / load balanced between 4 switches / hubs. . . . but otherwise the cost of the device and the extra account and modem would seem (at least to me) to outweigh any benefit to the home user.

Correct, it basically does load balancing, it doesn't COMBINE the lines for double the speed. Now I found this .. http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...-pro800-turbo/ . Seems like an interesting concept.

Phaeton