Baffled, Need Help!

Thread: Baffled, Need Help!

Exclamation Baffled, Need Help!

I've run into a problem I've never seen before. I have a total of 5 machines, some W2K, others XP that receive an IP via DHCP, have proper DNS, WINS, gateway and subnet assigned yet are unable to access the LAN or Internet. I have tried multiple replacement NIC's, the problem continues. I have reinstalled all networking components, tried Winsock repair utils, different NIC drivers, different patch cables, different LAN ports. The only way I've been able to fix it so far is to wipe the hdd and reinstall a fresh OS. An OS repair does not fix it. There has to be another way, please help! Thanks!
    My brain went into standby mode and I can't get it to wake up, is there a BIOS patch for this?

If a fresh install works maybe something happenes after (worm?). Try to do a tracert and see what happenes.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

What ip do these faulty ones get assigned?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Can you tell us what type of router the LAN uses to get to the Internet (and how it's configured)?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

The ip's being assigned are part of the dhcp range that would be assigned to any other machine. There are a total of 500 machines on various segments, the routers being used are a Cisco of some sort. The range is 16.x.x.x. The machines that are not seeing the network are getting assigned valid IP's, DNS, WINS, gateway, subnet, etc.... I don't manage that particular piece of it so unfortunately I can't provide you more information on the routers other than that.
    My brain went into standby mode and I can't get it to wake up, is there a BIOS patch for this?

Quote Originally Posted by tablesalt
    The ip's being assigned are part of the dhcp range that would be assigned to any other machine. There are a total of 500 machines on various segments, the routers being used are a Cisco of some sort. The range is 16.x.x.x. The machines that are not seeing the network are getting assigned valid IP's, DNS, WINS, gateway, subnet, etc.... I don't manage that particular piece of it so unfortunately I can't provide you more information on the routers other than that.
    We simply don't have enough info yet.
    Look at CeeBee's post and think about that.
    Plus, answer both NooNoo's and Adept's questions, even if you have to ask the Network admin.
    Also, considering how much work you have already put in, what do you suspect?
    Any ideas whatsover?

Quote Originally Posted by tablesalt
    The only way I've been able to fix it so far is to wipe the hdd and reinstall a fresh OS. An OS repair does not fix it. There has to be another way, please help! Thanks!
    That smacks of newdotnet or one of it compatriots in slimeware...

Have you run spybot and adaware on these machines?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."