Win98 can't connect to Win2k PC - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Win98 can't connect to Win2k PC

How are connecting to the share? Are connecting through network neighborhood or through mapping a drive. I think we need to determine if it is a network or system issue. The best way I like to troubleshoot that is to map a network drive using just the IP and not the system's name. Use \\ip address\share name. If it connects directly, then it is a problem with how the network resources are being broadcasted or with a system (I do not think it is with system if you can ping it). After connected, transfer a large file. If it takes to much time (remember, you should be 100mb trasnfer rate), then it could be a problem with the duplex or speed. Remember, Win2k uses TCP/IP and not NetBioous. Have Fun!
    "Computer, compute to the last digit the value of pi" -- Spock (Wolf in the Fold)

"The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank." -- Lt. Cdr. Montgomery Scott ("A Taste of Armageddon")

"Please, Spock, do me a favor ... 'n' don't say it's `fascinating'..." -- Dr. McCoy
    "No... but it is... interesting..." -- Spock (The Ultimate Computer)

Happy Christmas!

Happy Christmas everyone!

Quick update on the networking thing. The quick version: still nothing The extended version:

(a) tried a complete uninstall/reinstall of the Win98 networking components (thanks for the tip, Matridom - very useful link!) unfortunately there was no change.
    (b) tried mapping a network drive via IP address, but get same problem as before ("network is busy" message)

Thought I had a breakthrough at one point - since I installed the NIC, the PC has been playing up quite badly - it's been amazingly slow, plus has locked up a couple of times. Turns out that the NIC was trying to share an IRQ with the PS/2 mouse!! I thought resolving this would *surely* solve the "network is busy". But no. After removing a PCI modem and disabling a COM port to free up a couple of IRQs, I've now got the mouse working properly again and PC no longer acts strangely.....

But still no network connection to my Win2k pc.

I think maybe there is some sort of über-security on my Win2k machine. I can sometimes get a bit paranoid about spyware and securty and stuff. I'm sure I've set extra encryption on LM passwords or something - I'll try and work out what I did and undo it.

Anyway. Back to the festivities! Happy Christmas all!!
    MG Metro Turbos rule

Change the nic on the win98 machine.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

From gaseous clouds forming around Uranus
    This is peer to peer networking no? which I think still requires the NetBEUI protocol. I know it's not routable but if the 2 machines are on the same subnet the router is just being used for NAT. If the first 3 octets of the IP addresses are the same on both machines, try installing NetBEUI.
    "Oh my beloved Ice Cream Bar, how I love to lick your creamy center" - Ren

Peer to peer works just as well under tcp. Netbeui may work, you will have to find it on the xp cd and install it. It is not offered as part of the standard networking under XP, however it is on 98. Netbeui is not routable.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Off to see the in-laws :(

Changing the NIC sounds like it might be a good way forward. I still have a few days off before I gotta go back to work, so I'll look into getting either a new NIC for Win2k (to match the one in Win98) or try and find a better quality NIC to put into the Win98 pc.

I'll give NetBUEI a try I guess. Technically speaking, for such a small network (e.g. 2 pcs) I guess NetBEUI is actually better than TCP/IP....

But it will wait till I get back from the in-laws...

Cheers again everyone. Happy New Year!!

Dan.
    MG Metro Turbos rule

Highly cool info - check out the link

Just found some very cool stuff. Others may find it interesting, too:

http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/win9x/network.html
    MG Metro Turbos rule