blocking sharing

Thread: blocking sharing

blocking sharing

Hello;

I am managing a small network of computers:

server: win2k3

clients: 2 xp and one win2000

The server has NAT enabled for netaccess for the clients. now here is the problem, the people using the client machines keep sharing files and sometime even playing games. is there a way to block sharing at the server level??

no use messing with the clients, cuz they all have admin rights, and they have to stay that way, cuz they need em (or so the manager says so). so in short they can just enable file and printer sharing if i disable it.

is there an option or even software i can use for the server so that this sharing activity is blocked, and they only have access to the net??

thanks
    ala

So you want NO shares at all, or do you still want to be able to create some ?

Off the top of my head ... Will disk quota management not let you do this, by not letting them have any disk space ? They can create shares all they like on the server but it shouldn't let them put anything in it, you own or whoever is domain administrator all the disk ?

If you will restrict them You will be the "Bad guy" - let them break there head.
    Go to the manager - explain the situation to him and let him decide whats best for the company.
    On the worst side buy a Cheap IDE (Mass storage device) Declare that you do not backup this drive (Nor care what the clients with do with it) and let them manage what they want.

Kapish?
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

What's wrong with games?!? The occasional game is good for moral
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Oh, i guess i wasn't clear enough in my explaination. What I need is to block sharing between the clients. For example if computer A makes some shares available, on their own computer, all computer B has to do to access them is to goto My network places, and presto, they have access. this is the activity i want to block, at the server level.

Concerning the manager, i can just hear him saying "My son is getting his BCSc, yada yada yada, he says he needs sharing, yada yada yada...."

Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Ala

I was googling, and i found this:

What's more, the B-4000 implements a Level 2 V-LAN (virtual LAN) on all traffic, meaning that not only is access blocked between wireless and wired clients, but from wired-to-wired and wireless-to-wireless clients too. To put it simply, each client is on its own private network that connects only to the Internet and nowhere else. This means that each user's privacy is protected, but forget about file and printer sharing!

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/Revie...ID-B4000-2.php

This is exactly what i am looking for, except that you have to buy the router for this to actualy work. anyone familiar with this level 2 vlan? can i get it in software mode so that i don't have to throw my router out?

ala