To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question...

Thread: To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question...

To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question...

OK, here's the story. I have Norton Antivirus 2002 installed on my system (W2K SP4). The virus definition subscription expires on January 4 and a renewal costs $20. Alternatively, Norton will sell an upgrade to NAV 2004 for $30. Although everyone here seems to badmouth Norton, I really haven't had any problems with this installation. I would be inclined to renew, unless there is some significant improvement in virus detection to be found in the newer version.

Obviously, another option is switching to another vendor. I know that everyone here seems to like AVG, but I've sees a few reviews where it doesn't seem to score very well.

Thoughts?

Stick with Norton and upgrade to 2004 version.
    One issue which I am not sure has been resolved yet is their new activation feature which had some early bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Stick with Norton and upgrade to 2004 version.
    One issue which I am not sure has been resolved yet is their new activation feature which had some early bugs.

That's an understatement....

If you have 2002 and its working properly and you like what 2002 does for you, then I see no reason whatever to upgrade.

You may like to experiment with other virus checkers to help you decide.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have had four machines with different OS's come in in the last week because of problems with Norton 2004 either trashing the OS or not installing properly..a long talk with Norton indicates they know the problem exists, but don't know why. I have long been a supporter of Norton AV..(just ask NooNoo ) but I am no longer recommending it to my customers.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Quote Originally Posted by geoscomp
    I have had four machines with different OS's come in in the last week because of problems with Norton 2004 either trashing the OS or not installing properly..a long talk with Norton indicates they know the problem exists, but don't know why. I have long been a supporter of Norton AV..(just ask NooNoo ) but I am no longer recommending it to my customers.
    Geez, I must admit, last week at my supplier, I almost bought NAV 04 but opted for several copies of NAV 03 at a much lower price.
    So, the understated bug is still there, huh?
    Geo, trashing the OS?
    What do you mean?
    What actually happened?
    That is really serious, and why I and we look for everyone's experiences.
    I used to be all Norton as well, but geez, what has happened to them?
    So hudson, take my previous post with a huge grain of salt.

Two of the four machines would not reboot into windows after 2004 was installed..even in safe mode. These two were both machines that had 2001 installed previously...required wiping and reinstalling after doing a data recovery. The other two never got to the point where they asked for product activation..and instead said that the subscription was already expired..Norton looked like it was installed, but did not exist in add remove programs..these two both had win98se and had norton 2003 previously.
    Computer Rescue Service

As NooNoo stated, if you are happy with NAV 2002, stick with it.

Here is another post on NAV 2003. You will see that it has a different program called ccapp that screws everything up on bootup. If you access the internet through a "always on" network card, you might be ok...but if you dial out through a modem, it will screw everything up up bootup.

Quote Originally Posted by geoscomp
    Two of the four machines would not reboot into windows after 2004 was installed..even in safe mode. These two were both machines that had 2001 installed previously...required wiping and reinstalling after doing a data recovery. The other two never got to the point where they asked for product activation..and instead said that the subscription was already expired..Norton looked like it was installed, but did not exist in add remove programs..these two both had win98se and had norton 2003 previously.
    Geesh, I wonder how widespread this is.
    Anyone else smell a Class Action Suit in the making?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Geesh, I wonder how widespread this is.
    Anyone else smell a Class Action Suit in the making?

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...9116718,00.htm

this might give you an idea. So far looks like a 6% approval rating and a 94% disapproval rating on zdnet
    Last edited by geoscomp; December 22nd, 2003 at 11:12 AM.
    Computer Rescue Service