Bye Bye Norton Antivirus-What now?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bye Bye Norton Antivirus-What now?

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Bye Bye Norton Antivirus-What now?

I have always used and supported Norton Antivirus. However the 2004 has been a disaster. Problems with the product activiation, install, uninstall, sucks up resources- the list goes on and on. So I am looking for a new one. The criteria are: Must not be overly complicated for inexperienced users, must work reliably, must be able to autoupdate, must contain a good online virus library with very good instructions on how to clean and restore when infections occur and must not slow down the computer substantially. I have tried the AVG but the online virus info leaves something to be desired. Oh yeah, no product activation nonsense would be nice.
    What do you think?

I use pc-cillin 2003, never had an issue with it. I know others are very impressed with panda too.

I have my parents on pc cillin 2003 and of all the issues they have managed to throw at me, none have been related to that.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Fsecure. It's expensive, but very good. Figure around $56 USD.

Panda Titanium..$19.95 US..very simple..same engine as Platinum but doesn't include the firewall or some of the more technical user options..autoupdates constantly..includes free subscriptions if you want them to virus news and virus alerts..and I have never had a machine come in with panda and a current subscription that had a virus infection.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    I use pc-cillin 2003, never had an issue with it. I know others are very impressed with panda too.

I have my parents on pc cillin 2003 and of all the issues they have managed to throw at me, none have been related to that.
    Trend does not seem to still be marketing pc-cillin anti virus as a stand alone product. Their web site now shows pc-cillin internet security, which bundles a firewall, anti-spyware, etc. They want $50 for it.

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    Quote Originally Posted by geoscomp
    Panda Titanium..$19.95 US..very simple..same engine as Platinum but doesn't include the firewall or some of the more technical user options..autoupdates constantly..includes free subscriptions if you want them to virus news and virus alerts..and I have never had a machine come in with panda and a current subscription that had a virus infection.
    How much is the yearly renewal?

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    I agree, the activation is BS, and it slows machines to a crawl... I've been using AVG and PC-Cillan
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Quote Originally Posted by techs
    I have always used and supported Norton Antivirus. However the 2004 has been a disaster. Problems with the product activiation, install, uninstall, sucks up resources- the list goes on and on. So I am looking for a new one. The criteria are: Must not be overly complicated for inexperienced users, must work reliably, must be able to autoupdate, must contain a good online virus library with very good instructions on how to clean and restore when infections occur and must not slow down the computer substantially. I have tried the AVG but the online virus info leaves something to be desired. Oh yeah, no product activation nonsense would be nice.
    What do you think?

I would have to agree with "geoscomp" Panda is a great scanner. You install it and forget about it. You can order it from pricewatch.com for a discounted price and if you get the 2004 version it will even get spyware off your HD like the newer 2004 Norton. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    Trend does not seem to still be marketing pc-cillin anti virus as a stand alone product. Their web site now shows pc-cillin internet security, which bundles a firewall, anti-spyware, etc. They want $50 for it.
    Cost me $14.95 as upgrade from pc cillin 2000 which I got off a mobo cd.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hello techs! For reliable info on anitvirus softwre performance I always refer people to: http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/about/index.xml You can read performance data on lots of brands for more than 2 years of testing. Results are grouped by month and vendor. There are other sites that do independent testing including the University of Hamburg and ICSA Labs, but no one is as rigorous as Virus Bulletin.

If you just have to ditch NAV, and want a simple interface, I guess I would suggest McAfee or PC-Cillin. Avoid AVG and Panda. One look at AVG (Grisoft) test results will show you why. Panda is not so good, and very few labs will evaluate their product anymore. Because most labs have reported negative results for Panda, the publisher has set such restrictive testing conditions, that most testers feel that test integrity would be compromised. Panda refuses to submit software for testing to labs that don't meet their demands.

Norman Antivirus is a very good product, but way too complicated. One product that I have not had a chance to evaluate personally that looks VERY interesting is NOD32 from Eset. It has 24 VB100 Awards under its belt. I have not had time to try it personally, but you might want to check it out at: http://www.nod32.com/home/home.htm They offer a trial version.

I've still been using PC-Cillin too... It always comes with the Asus mobos I use and the renewal has been cheap enough. If they stop offering it I'll wind up with F-Secure on the desktop (it's great on the servers).
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Try this

http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm?

Its a firewall and an anti virus suite with free updates for 12 months. Then its only $49.95 to buy. I have been trying it now for 2 months and so far its worked great. Uses very little resources too..

Quote Originally Posted by riddellcomp
    Try this

http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm?

Its a firewall and an anti virus suite with free updates for 12 months. Then its only $49.95 to buy. I have been trying it now for 2 months and so far its worked great. Uses very little resources too..

I have the server edition running on my Domain Controller, works very nicely, very unabtrusive, always up to date. What i really like about this is how they integrated the AV into the Active Directories structure.

If they did such a good job on the server edition, the workstation edition must be just as good.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

I also am getting ready to switch. I asked a similar question a ways back. I was going to try Panda, and someone else mentioned GriSoft.