Bye Bye Norton Antivirus-What now? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bye Bye Norton Antivirus-What now?

I use AVG without any problems and the basic interface is almost idiot proof. I could have told you Norton was chunky since 2002. I used to be a McAfee fan, but ever since after the final version 4 it's also been to clunky and annoying and they charge out the nose for useless support. I have also heard that Panda hasn't been regarded as good from the admin at the ISP I work at... but I've never tried it myself. Older version of PCCillin have caused me issues in the past but nothing serious. Their old interface was kinda obsure for people to use, at least for the people I was dealing with. Again haven't tried the new one so I don't know.
    Something to consider tho, with AVG make sure people distinguish between the free edition and the paid version 7 as there is quite a difference between the two. I use the free edition without any problems. But I have heard and seen the paid version do much better than the free one....

hope it helps...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by riddellcomp
    Try this

http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm?

Its a firewall and an anti virus suite with free updates for 12 months. Then its only $49.95 to buy. I have been trying it now for 2 months and so far its worked great. Uses very little resources too..
    I'm trying this out. BTW, the bundled firewall is a rebadged ZoneAlarm (full version as near as I can tell). They didn't change the interface or anything.

From gaseous clouds forming around Uranus
    Quote Originally Posted by techs
    I have always used and supported Norton Antivirus. However the 2004 has been a disaster. Problems with the product activiation, install, uninstall, sucks up resources- the list goes on and on. So I am looking for a new one. The criteria are: Must not be overly complicated for inexperienced users, must work reliably, must be able to autoupdate, must contain a good online virus library with very good instructions on how to clean and restore when infections occur and must not slow down the computer substantially. I have tried the AVG but the online virus info leaves something to be desired. Oh yeah, no product activation nonsense would be nice.
    What do you think?
    Why not go Norton Corporate 2003?
    "Oh my beloved Ice Cream Bar, how I love to lick your creamy center" - Ren

norman.com

we use it at work
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    I'm trying this out. BTW, the bundled firewall is a rebadged ZoneAlarm (full version as near as I can tell). They didn't change the interface or anything.
    Yes thats correct and the anti virus prog looks a lot like VET.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    and its sponsored by Microsoft so its bound to work [isnt it?]

I just don't get the Norton bashing. Been running 2003 corporate edition with 5000 people with out many hickups at all and it not that bad of a resource drain unless you use it on antiqualted machines. My 2003 home edition has been running without error for the whole year and it's faily brainless and works unobtrusivly without sucking major resources (about 6mb ram - corporate eats about 15mb). Thing is though the machines it's designed to work on the newer machine built in the last 3 years or so and it does so very well. Only issue I've seen is running it on older machines but why do you want a 2004 virus scanner to run on a 1998 machine?

As for product activation, it seems to be the wave of the future and I guess we better get used to it. it's that or product bundling that will be specific to the hardware you have in the machine.

For the older machines use free AVG which is pretty good but has given me a slew of problems. But for free, you can't beat it. I've also been using a product called AntiVir from http://www.free-av.com/ with a decent bit of success on an antiquated machine I gave to my friend to use. It's pretty basic though but still, free is free and you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers
    but why do you want a 2004 virus scanner to run on a 1998 machine?
    because 2004 viruses don't care about what year the machine was made in. ;P

To each there own though. You like Norton. I dislike Norton. Whereas I HATE McAfee and others love it. For me personally, I don't see why I should pay for something I can get for free. With your 5000 computers I agree 2004 would probably run fairly decent on them, but for us technicians dealing with people who have ancient machines and who ignore our pleas for reconsideration about purchasing even an upgrade, it's quite difficult and annoying. Plus the activation is crap... not the idea of activation... Norton 2004 activation is crap... I could poo in a box and activate it with Norton easier... (I haven't tried it since they patched it actually so I don't know how it is now I'm sure they've most likely corrected most of the issues as they are usually quick to respond to things like that)

Bottom line: Free = good, as long as Free = works almost as good as....
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Panda

Please remember thet PANDA distribute the W95/BUMBLE worm/virus.
    Panda is a great scanner ,and have a great update each day but....... the w95/bumble ???

Greetings

QUOTE=Sp0cK]
    I would have to agree with "geoscomp" Panda is a great scanner. You install it and forget about it. You can order it from pricewatch.com for a discounted price and if you get the 2004 version it will even get spyware off your HD like the newer 2004 Norton. Good luck [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Matridom
    I have the server edition running on my Domain Controller, works very nicely, very unabtrusive, always up to date. What i really like about this is how they integrated the AV into the Active Directories structure.

If they did such a good job on the server edition, the workstation edition must be just as good.
    Thirded. I have a copy on my Win2003 server, one on my main desktop PC and one on my laptop PC. Very unobtrusive, easy on the CPU and memory. I hardly ever even notice it's there.

I had used Norton for years but recently gave it up. Been trying out Computer Associates eTrust EZ Armor. Has anybody else tried this? And if so what have your results been?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
    but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting. "Holy sh!t.. what a ride!"

Overlooked earlier post sorry
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
    but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting. "Holy sh!t.. what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by jwhart
    Overlooked earlier post sorry
    No need for apology: someone awoke this thread and it is one subject which is always Right On Time. And, the software is free for a year, so it's a nice "gimme" for customers. It comes with the MS cumulative update CD, and that is also nice.

Have been testing Panda Titanium for a month

Seems to be fine.

You can get the OEM version in the UK for £4.50. Should also be available in the US. Norton is 3x the price with no firewall!
    The lunatics are running the Country

I've been using Sophos Anti-Virus for years, it is only for businesses though. They have a simple small foot-print client, central updates, central administration, remote updates for laptop users and anti-spam for email servers. They also cover most major OS's.
    Do you live in the UK, ROI or NL?
    Do you know someone who needs an extra paycheck every month?
    If so visit www.turleys.co.uk