Bridge Connections?

Thread: Bridge Connections?

Bridge Connections?

I'm not a heavy networking guy and I see this "bridge connections" in WinXP... just wondering what it means/does?
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    I'm not a heavy networking guy and I see this "bridge connections" in WinXP... just wondering what it means/does?

It connects two ethernet segments and connects them (bridges them). This allows to different subnets to communicate to each other.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Quote Originally Posted by Gollo
    It connects two ethernet segments and connects them (bridges them). This allows to different subnets to communicate to each other.
    Other than mear ability to communicate, what would other benefits of said bridge be? What would be a situation that would require a bridge be made?
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

xp was merrily bridging my firewire to my wireless... I killed the bridge, the firewire I use for my dv cam... fat lot of subnets it would find on that!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

From gaseous clouds forming around Uranus
    Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n

In other words you would be turning your Windows XP system into a Network Bridge if you had two NICs installed. Your computer would store the MAC addresses of every computer that was on each LAN segment and associate their NetBIOS names to their MAC address. Then your computer would know which LAN segment to forward the broadcast to or where to block it from going between two serperate peer 2 peer LANs. As long as no two machines are using the same host name/computer name, everybody should be able to communicate with each other. As long as there aren't any software firewalls in place or you have them configured properly. That's Layer 2 of the OSI, no?

"Oh my beloved Ice Cream Bar, how I love to lick your creamy center" - Ren