Backup Exec "reminder" notifications

Thread: Backup Exec "reminder" notifications

Backup Exec "reminder" notifications

I got a request from one of my customers using Backup Exec 9.0 that seems pretty reasonable and useful, but can't seem to find the feature in the software. The request is to setup a way to remind the person who handles inserting and storing the tapes when the FULL and QUARTERLY backups are set to run. (The rest of the month, a differential job runs, and he just switches out tapes every few days on his own.)

This does seem like a pretty important feature to have, since the full backup runs on the first monday of every month, and the quarterly backup runs only 4 times a year. These jobs are pretty easy to lose track of, so it seems logical that the program would have the ability to send a notification some time before a job is to begin, saying "hey, feed me a new tape, big boy."

But I can't find such a feature. The notifications only seem to have the option to be sent AFTER a job has completed, which does me no good. There are the Pre/Post commands, but I don't know if or how this would be useful to me.

Anyone else wondering the same thing? anyone found a solution?

I know there's an option to run a program before running the backup. You could script something... It's been awhile since I've run BE though... seems like there's a better way to do this. Another option would be to manually setup a batch/script in scheduler to alert users. I'd like to see the next version dump xml files that outlook calenders can import.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Why not use something like Outlook's calandar. You can set up a reccuring appointment with a reminder - one monthly and another quarterly.

Quote Originally Posted by silencio
    I know there's an option to run a program before running the backup..
    Hare a looksee at this url ... I think you'll like it !

Set a conveniently scheduled task:
    net send %computername% It's time for the full backup!
    This should be quite visible for the operator
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!