New board, cpu and memory

Thread: New board, cpu and memory

New board, cpu and memory

I am considering an upgrade to my system, w new motherboard. proc, and memory. I have been using a Jetway 663ASPRO with an AMD Thunderbird 1.4 G and 512 Meg of PC133 ram. I do video editing and this is a bit slow. I have 2 Western Digital WD800JB drives as well as a Western Digital Wd300AB to store files. One of the JB's is used as the boot drive and the other is used For Video Capture and editing. I have A Dazzle Digital video Creator II which I have finally got tamed using Bugsy and Movie star 2.5.
    I am considering a DFI NFII Ultra Infinity board, an AMD Barton 2500 and 2 512Meg pC2700 memory chips, as well as a Coolermaster A7+ cpu fan. I already have 5 aditional fans in the case and power supply. The power supply is a PC Power And Cooling 400w unit. I realise that the parts I speced are not the fastest, but I am on a bit of a budget. Any suggestions or criticism?
    Jim

From gaseous clouds forming around Uranus
    The only concern I'd have would be with that nForce 2 chipset. If you have any hardware/software incompatabilties with that chipset you'd have to wait and see if the next set of chipset drivers fixed it.
    "Oh my beloved Ice Cream Bar, how I love to lick your creamy center" - Ren

I'll keep that in mind. Perhaps the later Via Chipset would be a safer choice?
    Jim

I'm not sure if you are a big fan of AMD. You should consider the new intel 865/875 motherboards. These boards are capable of using dual channel pc3200 and above memory and are hyper threading.

I have a Intel 2.4G uniprocessor motherboard I used to render video, I am now using a 3.06G hyper thread motherboard with 533 bus and 1 Gig of pc2700 memory. The new computer renders video 40% faster.

You should consider a Intel 2.6/800 processer with the one of the motherboard mentioned above.

All your processing will be approximately 30-40% faster with apps that are hyper thread aware.

Regardless of the board chosen, use PC3200 dual channel RAM (at the very least) instead of the 2700 if you can. You won't regret it.

Corsair, OCZ and Crucial come to mind as brands you can trust.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams