Problems with USB Mass Storage Device

Thread: Problems with USB Mass Storage Device

Problems with USB Mass Storage Device

Hi, this is my first time here, so I hope you can help me! I got a GE USB 16MB UltraDrive for Christmas and can't seem to get it working. I'm running Windows XP and there are no drivers for the device ~ it's plug and play. So I plug it in and it's recognized just fine ... it installs and shows up under "My Computer" as drive E. However, when I try to write to the device, I get this error:

"Cannot copy {filename}: Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name."

I've checked the device manager and everything seems to be working fine. But in XP's error log I find this entry every time I try to save to the device:

"An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation."

I don't know what to do! I don't have a hub ... I'm running the home version of Windows XP (Version 2002) on a Pentium 4 CPU with a 1.5 GHz processor and 256 MB of RAM. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jherusalem
    Hi, this is my first time here, so I hope you can help me! I got a GE USB 16MB UltraDrive for Christmas and can't seem to get it working. I'm running Windows XP and there are no drivers for the device ~ it's plug and play. So I plug it in and it's recognized just fine ... it installs and shows up under "My Computer" as drive E. However, when I try to write to the device, I get this error:

"Cannot copy {filename}: Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name."

I've checked the device manager and everything seems to be working fine. But in XP's error log I find this entry every time I try to save to the device:

"An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation."

I don't know what to do! I don't have a hub ... I'm running the home version of Windows XP (Version 2002) on a Pentium 4 CPU with a 1.5 GHz processor and 256 MB of RAM. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
    Welcome to Windrivers jherusalem

OK two questions, have you formatted the pendrive? (right click format)
    What is the directory you are trying to copy from?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks for your quick reply, NooNoo. To answer your questions:

1) I did format the drive ... once. Now when I try to reformat it, I don't get the dialog box ~ I can right click and select "Format" from the menu, but nothing happens. When I view "Properties," it says the disk is full and I can't add anything to it, but when I open the directory, there's nothing there!

2) I tried three directories to save from (and thinking about your post, two of them were probably wrong): My Documents, My Downloads, and a subdirectory of My Documents called Writing. For the first two (Documents & Downloads), I tried to copy from folder to folder (drag & drop method as well as selecting "Copy to" from the window's tasks). For the 3rd directory (Writing), I tried to save the file from WordPad to the drive and got an error that said, "Invalid file name."

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. The directions that came with the drive, as well as the manufacturer's site, aren't helpful in the least. The CD that came with the device contains a driver for Windows 98 but nothing for XP. I don't know if I need a new driver or not?

Thanks again!

Are your windows updates all up to date? Is your xp got sp1 installed?

Do you have a via chipset on the motherboard?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yes, my Windows XP is up to date ~ I just dl'd SP1 last night (and hate the annoying fact that my USB network adapter shows up in my taskbar as removable hardware but what can you do?). I don't know what a via chip is I'm not that computer savvy.

I do know that I have 6 USB ports on my computer ... my mouse is in one, my network adapter in another. I have my scanner plugged in but have to leave it turned off because if I boot up with it on, it conflicts with my network adapter. Could that be an issue?

Yes, my Windows XP is up to date ~ I just dl'd SP1 last night (and hate the annoying fact that my USB network adapter shows up in my taskbar as removable hardware but what can you do?). I don't know what a via chip is I'm not that computer savvy.

I do know that I have 6 USB ports on my computer ... my mouse is in one, my network adapter in another. I have my scanner plugged in but have to leave it turned off because if I boot up with it on, it conflicts with my network adapter. Could that be an issue?

It could yes... try moving the network adapter to a different usb port, they are controlled in pairs, so each pair provides a different address, you may be able to run it if you move stuff around.

As to the chipset, right click my computer, properties, hardware tab, device manager button, click on the plus on IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and post what the 3 devices listed there are.

Thank you again for all your help. Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, I have these listed:

~ Intel(r) 82801BA Bus Master IDE Controller
    ~ Primary IDE Channel
    ~ Secondary IDE Channel

In the meantime I'll try that bit with the ports, though. See what I can get.

this is a chipset driver Download it and double click it when finished to install it. It may go some way to helping your problem.

Check and see if you can format the device through the administrative tools (in control panel) and selecting the computer manager. Clik on drive manager and find the pen drive and try a format from there. Also there is a chance that the device is bad. If possible try returning it and getting a replacment. Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

You might also check you have not write protected the drive.

Thank you, everyone, for your help! I did install the driver, but don't see it listed under my device manager I'm not sure why. However, I did get the drive to work (yay me!). Actually I think it was conflicting with my network connection (which is also USB) ~ if I disable my network and plug the drive in, it works. I can format and save to and from it just fine.

Now my only question is why don't computer manufacturers let the average consumer know that having six USB ports won't necessarily mean you can have six working devices connected to your computer at the same time!?

Thanks again for all your help! I really appreciate it!

Now my only question is why don't computer manufacturers let the average consumer know that having six USB ports won't necessarily mean you can have six working devices connected to your computer at the same time!?

Thanks again for all your help! I really appreciate it!

If you want a serious answer to that, find your self a good webhost with a major bandwidth allowance and start your own forum... You might get a reply that makes sense by the 10 millionth or so post.

PS theory says you can have 127 devices.....

Hmmmmm....I could have swore I posted here.....

Go to device manager. Click the + by USB. Right-click on each device and look for a power managment tab. In each that has one, uncheck the line that says something like " Allow the computer to shut off this device to save power". unplug the drive and re-boot.

Plug it in and try again.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

I thought you did too... odd, I remember reading that...

Edit right subject, wrong thread
    Last edited by NooNoo; December 29th, 2003 at 10:34 AM.