strange phantom files

Thread: strange phantom files

strange phantom files

I found this file in windows/fonts folder:

Font Name: Arial Unicode MS
    Filename: Arialuni.ttf
    File size: 23.566 M (yes M not K)

When I use the font viewer it opens normally and as quickly as any other TTF.

I run the Search command. In addition to the font files, I found a number of other phantom files TMM****.TMP in widows/system folder and in fonts folder. the sizes of these files vary up 500 K, but these files are not visible in either system or fonts folders in windows explorer. My settings are to see all hidden and system files and the extensions of all files.

Is there a valid explaination for these phantom files?

Don't know about the TMP files, but here's why your ARIALUNI.TTF file is so big: http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

Why is the file size of the Arial Unicode MS font so large?

The file size of the Arial Unicode MS font is 22 MB because it is a complete Unicode font. It contains all the characters in Arial plus full fonts for Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Arabic, and Hebrew, plus all of the different symbol characters and character ranges.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    Don't know about the TMP files, but here's why your ARIALUNI.TTF file is so big: http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1
    Could That Possibly Be In Temp from updateing lang In IE6?
    When You upgrade ME to IE6 theres like 16? language updates that are installed 1 By 1,if you choose.
    Often,Online,When trying to view a page,A box pops up want to install the font/character/language to view the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout
    Could That Possibly Be In Temp from updateing lang In IE6?
    When You upgrade ME to IE6 theres like 16? language updates that are installed 1 By 1,if you choose.
    Often,Online,When trying to view a page,A box pops up want to install the font/character/language to view the page.
    It could very well be the case. I can't remember have seen them before I upgraded to IE6. I can't remember that I was asked if I wish to install these fonts either, but I noticed when I use Yahoo engine I get some pages with asian characters, and some pages with arabic characters. Before upgrading to IE6 I used to see garbage characters.