Cable modem 512 usb or network card?

Thread: Cable modem 512 usb or network card?

Post Cable modem 512 usb or network card?

I am soon to upgrade to a cable modem in the UK using NTL, my question is which interface should I choose usb or network card, or is there no difference, and finally if network card is there a fast type or will any pci version do?, thanks in advance for any input.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

USB is simpler (you need Win98 or later). Plug and Pray actually does the right thing in this case and installs all the Windows networking components for you. You'll need a new driver if you have WinXP, NTL's help page has a link to it. If you opt for a network card, 10 Mbit/sec is way more capacity than the cable modem can deliver. Most cards you are likely to find now will support 10/100 Mbit/sec. As to which is better, USB takes a bit more processor time than network card, but the difference is marginal on a fast box.
    I think I know just enough to know how much I don't know... I think...

[quote]Originally posted by TRICKPLAYER:
    <strong>I am soon to upgrade to a cable modem in the UK using NTL, my question is which interface should I choose usb or network card, or is there no difference, and finally if network card is there a fast type or will any pci version do?, thanks in advance for any input.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would go with the nic card. I rather have my components seperate, your current nic will handle the bandwith, has stated above it's 10 megs, more than your mdm pumps out. The problem i've seen with USB is power mamangement (mainly with the linksys USB nic) where the P/M shuts down the USB for lack of use, when you try to go on the net, the nic won't "Wake up"
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Thanks for input, a good version on both, my system is high power, P4 1.8A, P4T-E, 512 RDRAM,
    so no problem there, I have only 1 pci slot left,
    don't mind putting a netwok card in it but if usb is as good I would rather save it, so a few more honest opinions would be appreciated.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

It mostly depends on the modem.

In my case, the provided modem had an RJ45 jack on the back, so I had to use a network card in my computer.

Given a choice of USB or network card, I would choose the network card. Network cards are fairly inexpensive and allow for better connectivity, like using with a router to share that nice new DSL with the other computers in your home or if take your computer to a LAN party for some gaming with your friends.

I'd go with NIC because running off USB you won't be getting your full available bandwith, also if you happen to have any peripherals running off the same hub as the modem when you're online it will seriously limit bandwith to them.
    So, so busy lately. Oh, where do I start?

NIC. Less headaches.....
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

go with NIC CARD its very ez to setup, I dont trust USB

go with the pci card. usb is nice, but it still has its quirks.
    take care and tempt not the fates