USB memory stick

Thread: USB memory stick

Hybrid View

USB memory stick

I have had a problem using USB memory sticks (3 brands, 4 capacities) on an ASUS P4P800 motherboard. Scanners, cameras, printers all work on all USB ports, but USB memory sticks all cause lockups (using any port) in My Computer until the device is disconnected. If the drivers are removed (WinXP Device Manager) and the stick is reinserted, it is detected, but a message comes up saying that the installation was not successful, and the device will not likely work (which is true).

I think I have to either have to reinstall WinXP home, or delete the drivers that are specific to USB memory sticks and reinstall them from the WINXP CD, but I don't know which files to delete.

Thanks for any ideas.

John

Welcome to Windrivers johnmacf

What motherboard do you have, sounds like you need motherboard drivers installed.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have same MB and I use a USB memory stick. I do have the latest BIOS as well. Also check and make sure that you have installed all Windows Update Patches ect...
    If all of that is ok, you probably have a corrupt registry.
    W

Quote Originally Posted by Diver01
    I have same MB and I use a USB memory stick. I do have the latest BIOS as well. Also check and make sure that you have installed all Windows Update Patches ect...
    If all of that is ok, you probably have a corrupt registry.

The BIOS is up-to-date, and I have installed the USB 2.0 patch from MS. Any idea which registry keys can be removed?

Thanks for the quick reponse.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers johnmacf

What motherboard do you have, sounds like you need motherboard drivers installed.

It's an ASUS P4P800 - Intel chipset. Do you mean the Infinst download from Intel? I haven't tried it yet, but since all USB peripherals work except the memory sticks, I wonder if it will help. I'll give it a try.

Thanks for your reply

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnmacf
    It's an ASUS P4P800 - Intel chipset. Do you mean the Infinst download from Intel? I haven't tried it yet, but since all USB peripherals work except the memory sticks, I wonder if it will help. I'll give it a try.

Thanks for your reply

John

Yep, can't hurt, and sorry I didn't notice you posting your mobo... something to do with too many posts to be read today.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Since the last response, I have done the following:

1. Updated the BIOS (to 10.14)
    2. Reinstalled WinXPSP1 over itself
    3. Uninstalled the memory stick & USB devices from both the Disk Drive & USB sections of Device Manager - tricky, since the system freezes when a stick is inserted and the device doesn't show up when it isn't.
    4. Done some swearing.

Result? - nothing. Are there any third party USB memory drivers for WinXP?

Thanks,
    John

Sorry, I forgot :

0. Installed the Intel chipset drivers.