USB memory stick - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: USB memory stick

Then look for usb keys with the usb stick not plugged in.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Then look for usb keys with the usb stick not plugged in.
    I have done this, found the keys, but cannot delete them. After the "Are you sure..." prompt, an error message states that the key cannot be removed. This occurs in both Safe and Normal modes. I don't recall having this kind of registry edit problem in XP or any other version of Windows. Is there a Policy setting or something similar that I have missed?

OK, just for you I toasted my usb mass storage this morning.... (if you believe that you will believe anything)

Seriously, I have a usb2 drive caddy thingy, runs fine on 2k boxes and my xp box, shoved it into the lappie this morning and got precisely the problem you have. So I tried what I had advised you to do so far - guess what, it didn't work

So what did work? Well....

Remove ALL usb devices, Boot to safe mode, open device manager, uninstall all the usb hubs and controllers (note - uninstall not delete)... now you have to do this from the bottom up (otherwise xp helpfully rescans and puts it back for some reason duh....)

Having uninstalled them all and waited 10 seconds to see if windows is gonna let them stay uninstalled, install your chipset drivers, which you previously downloaded and have ready in a convenient directory (right?). Yes, you are installing the chipset drivers in safe mode still.

Now reboot, and let xp get fully to desktop and watch your usb hubs and controllers get reinstalled. Without ANY other usb devices - plug in your problematic stick... this time it should work!!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks for your efforts - sadly, I'm right back where I started - no USB memory stick works, but all other devices are OK.

As an experiment, I disconnected the hard drive and stuck in an old one with Win98 on it. In the process of detecting devices, it hung up - guess where? Detecting USB controllers etc. After a number of retries, I put the drive in an old PII-300 and it did its thing without hesitation.

It looks to me like a strange hardware problem. I think I'll get another ASUS P4P800 & see if it works any better - the retailer is very good about taking returns of defective eqpt.

Another unresolved issue is my inability to edit the USBSTOR registry keys.

Thanks again.

Thats not an issue, they are part of the chipset drivers and are therefore in use even in safe mode. Net result, you cannot remove them.

You would have to remove this sort of stuff in repair console I guess... and no, I am not gonna even guess at how that would go!!

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Thats not an issue, they are part of the chipset drivers and are therefore in use even in safe mode. Net result, you cannot remove them.

You would have to remove this sort of stuff in repair console I guess... and no, I am not gonna even guess at how that would go!!

Final Chapter:
    I bought a replacement P4P800, installed it, plugged in a stick - no difference! Reinstalled the original board, plugged in a stick - it WORKED! Once only! Pulled it out and reinserted - back to square one.

Returned the new board to the vendor. Another customer started to chat - he had a P4P800 and a P4S800 (SIS chipset). His P800 won't work with USB 1.1 sticks, but is fine with 2.0. His S800 is "smooth as silk" with everything.

I bought a 256MB SanDisk USB 2.0 stick ($75CDN at Costco), inserted it and there it was. Not a hiccup. It looks like a problem with the Intel 865 chipset.

Thanks for all the advice. I hope I can return the favour someday soon.

Talking

It wasn't any of ur drivers and what not. If anything it was a problem with ur old usb memory stick as u just saw when u bought a new one. Reasons for it not working (well for my gf's usb stick that i borrowed off her not working), i ripped it out of the usb socket before i safely stopped it through windows. So that might of been ur fault and did the same thing as i did. I know i did. She is going to kill me.