ASUS 440BX Flagship Mother Board ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ASUS 440BX Flagship Mother Board ?

Registered User MRGTechnologies's Avatar
    If it turns out to be a corrupt hard drive, will I beable to salvage her data on the corrupted hard drive & move it to the new hard drive, & what program can I use to do this.

Happy New Year.

Thank you,
    Mike
    CEO of MRGTechnologies.com
    [email protected]

PC Inspector is well regarded recovery software:

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

although the drive has to able to be accessed by the system for software recovery to work.

Further reading echoes other's suggestion of BIOS update, both for drive size, as I said previously, >32G support seems to have been added in V1004, and also the "BIOS update data incorrect CPUID=00000683" is advised to be dealt with by means of a BIOS update.

But as the original drive shows controller failure in another system, is there any chance that during the swap, the IDE data cable was plugged in upside down? That can damage electronics.
    Last edited by Platypus; January 1st, 2004 at 09:47 AM.

I have replaced the IDE cable, with a new IDE cable, & still get the same message as I have done everything in my power to get the drive back.

Platypus, Can you recommend to me a DOS based recovery prog. b/c I can not get windows started on this machine that I am working on.

Thank you,
    Mike
    [email protected]

I am a little confused. The lady inquestion already had this 80gig drive in her machine or are we talking about another smaller drive? If so, what make and model?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    I am a little confused. The lady inquestion already had this 80gig drive in her machine or are we talking about another smaller drive? If so, what make and model?
    I am a little to medium sized confus-ed ! (being only 5'4" !)

Errr isn't the issue now with the original boot drive failing ? Not any subsequent drives we want to add ?

As I read it, the 80G is the new drive, and since that was installed and not recognised, it's the original system drive that shows controller failure in any computer.

MRG, I'm not sure of DOS based recovery, Ruslan who posts here recommended a powerful Russian diagnostic program, but I could never figure out how to use it (the docs were in Russian) and I don't know if it did any recovery. No software will be able to access the drive if it has controller failure, it would be time for lab recovery, or trying to find another drive of the same type to borrow the controller circuit board from.

Another thing that's a long shot, "controller failure" can be just a catch-all report for when the BIOS doesn't get the right response from the drive. If the 80G drive threw the BIOS in the original system, have you been able to try a BIOS reset (either with the motherboard jumper, or removing the backup battery)? It may be that the old Dell you tried the drive in was set wrong or had some other problem and the original drive is actually OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus
    ...Another thing that's a long shot, "controller failure" can be just a catch-all report for when the BIOS doesn't get the right response from the drive..
    Not so much 'long shot' if you ask me, here its either physical damage caused by all this swapping about or a corrupted/mis-set bios, trying the drive slaved in a.n.other beast (something 'newish') will settle it (we want the data back not the install so we don't really care about 'boot from')...

Platypus, Yes, its a brand new drive.

Did you have a chance to reset / update the BIOS. I'm interested to hear if that worked...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

440BX chipset drivers only operate at 66Mhz, not 100Mhz, to get the best performance out of a new 80GB HDD get a controler card (i recommend promise). this wil also eliminate any compatibility issues with BIOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Matridom
    I thought cubx was a via chipset and the 440bx was the p2b-f and the p3b-f boards?

Both of wich won't support above 32 gig drives. That probably means we are dealing with overlay software.
    Little correction...
    All these motherboards are supporting drives over 32 Gigs with fresh BIOS updates (with latest Beta-versions - even 120 Gig, without any overlays... at least, I tested it personally with P3B-F )...

And yes, I have seen "Flagship motherboard" logo on P2B-F and P3B-F boxes...
    Last edited by Ruslan; January 5th, 2004 at 11:15 PM.

arch0nmyc0n, Yes, I did get a chance to do that, but the drives dead, I guess, b/c its not working & I put the 80GB in instead of the 8, in the master position & that works prefectly, the BIOS update I did, so come to find out it was a bad drive.

Thank you all for your help on this.

Thank you,
    Mike
    [email protected]

I don't suppose the bad hard drive happened to be a Fujitsu 20 gig would it?
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    I don't suppose the bad hard drive happened to be a Fujitsu 20 gig would it?
    You've done it now ! ... the 'I hate fujitsu' gang will be here in a minute ... blaming every imaginable woe known to mankind on those god damned stupid, unreliable, pices of cra ....hang on I'm 'chairman' !