9.2 and cdroms

Thread: 9.2 and cdroms

9.2 and cdroms

I have two liteon burners. I just upgraded to Mandrake 9.2. I was able to access the cdroms in Mandrake ok. Oh yea, I dual boot between XP. So, when I boot into XP and found both of my cd burners not showing up. They are there but the drivers are gone. I can uninstall them and reinstall them they are recognised and the correct cdroms but the drivers don't get loaded.
    Just ran a virus check and everything seems to be ok.

I ran a restore from a time before I loaded 9.2 but they still show up with no drivers. They show up at post and I bet if I would go back into Mandrake 9.2 they would work there.

Checked Liteon web site and there are no driver and firmware to update.

I can't think of anything else to try to get the drives going again. I'm going to boot into safe mode and see if I can get them going. I don't think that will help any.

Any suggestions ?

Quote Originally Posted by charlescpc
    I have two liteon burners. I just upgraded to Mandrake 9.2. I was able to access the cdroms in Mandrake ok. Oh yea, I dual boot between XP. So, when I boot into XP and found both of my cd burners not showing up. They are there but the drivers are gone. I can uninstall them and reinstall them they are recognised and the correct cdroms but the drivers don't get loaded.

I ran a restore from a time before I loaded 9.2 but they still show up with no drivers. They show up at post and I bet if I would go back into Mandrake 9.2 they would work there.

I can't think of anything else to try to get the drives going again. I'm going to boot into safe mode and see if I can get them going. I don't think that will help any.

Any suggestions ?
    I can boot from a bootable cd and the cdrom can be read in LInux. But both cdroms don't show up in XP and in the device manager the have problems with the driver. I can't roll back a driver since their isn't one loaded.

Still trying to figure this one out and ran the virus checker and it says everything is ok....

Any suggestions ?
    I can boot from a bootable cd and the cdrom can be read in LInux. But both cdroms don't show up in XP and in the device manager the have problems with the driver. I can't roll back a driver since their isn't one loaded.

Still trying to figure this one out and ran the virus checker and it says everything is ok.... Any help is appreciated.
    think i will try and go back and do a system restore and go way back to see if that does any good.

Still trying to figure this one out and ran the virus checker and it says everything is ok.... Any help is appreciated.
    think i will try and go back and do a system restore and go way back to see if that does any good.
    Finally got it. IM SURE MANDRAKE 9.2 messed it up !!!
    Their was a fix in microsoft knowledge base for a code 39 for the adaptec cdrom burring software. It was a registry hack. ANOTHER PROBLEM CAUSED BY 9.2. I just blew 9.2 away. Too much of a hassel. And I don't need all the xxxxx.
    Ill wait till a better version comes out and has been out a while. That has taught me a lesson....

Question

Finally got it. IM SURE MANDRAKE 9.2 messed it up !!!
    Their was a fix in microsoft knowledge base for a code 39 for the adaptec cdrom burring software. It was a registry hack. ANOTHER PROBLEM CAUSED BY 9.2. I just blew 9.2 away. Too much of a hassel. And I don't need all the xxxxx.
    Ill wait till a better version comes out and has been out a while. That has taught me a lesson....
    Can I Ask a Silly Question>?
    Was 9.2 Running on a seperate Hard drive than XP?
    Or Could It Be Related To Your Post HERE
    just curious
    trout
    Last edited by Trout; December 14th, 2003 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout
    Can I Ask a Silly Question>?
    Was 9.2 Running on a seperate Hard drive than XP?
    Or Could It Be Related To Your Post HERE
    just curious
    trout
    It's on the same hard drive just in a separate partition.
    One partion was XP ntfs and the other was for Mandrake 9.2
    Mandrake was splite up into several separate partitions like
    /home /user etc.

I still think Mandrake caused the problems with the cdroms. I put 9.2 on and when I went back into XP no working cdroms.

It's on the same hard drive just in a separate partition.
    One partion was XP ntfs and the other was for Mandrake 9.2
    Mandrake was splite up into several separate partitions like
    /home /user etc.

I still think Mandrake caused the problems with the cdroms. I put 9.2 on and when I went back into XP no working cdroms.
    Hmmm,
    Was third party partition software used? or did you allow mandrake to move,windows and resize/re-allocate drive?
    Im only asking because a couple yrs ago,i installed mandrake 7.2 on an old win98 drive,After it moved everything,I had issues problems with alot of things, no modem Ect.
    Think Id try removeing adaptec from the system entirely,(i use adaptec easy cd 5.whatever platinum)myself.
    remove the cd roms from the device manager,shut down,then unplug them entirely from the computer.
    boot it up,,run the disk checker all 5 steps, disk clean,defrag,shut down,, and plug everything back in.
    boot it up, and see if they come back.<~that actually worked more than once for me.
    if so,, then reload your adaptec burning software.

i looked and looked through the various linux sites,and havent seen any refferances to problems with useing lg drives.

in the meantime,i'll keep checking sites and look for any refferances that might apply.
    trout
    quick edit,,, just found THIS

And This LG Drives
    Sounds like after reading that,,, It might of hosed your firmware in the drive iteslf,, Which might explain its disappearance.
    CDRWs are affected as well as CD roms.
    Last edited by Trout; December 14th, 2003 at 09:43 PM.