problems with usb pcmcia card

Thread: problems with usb pcmcia card

problems with usb pcmcia card

I recently bought a 4 port usb 2 pcmcia card for my laptop running xp. the card is meant to be backwards compatible so I test it with a usb mouse...nothing then with my old archos mp3player...nothing. However when I added the card it seem to automatically assign drivers and it gives me a "safely remove hardware" icon.

So I am curious as to whether the device is working properly or if I need drivers or may be it is a configuration problem. I already has 2 usb 1.0 ports and they work fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Wordsworth1976

Welcome to Windrivers wordsworth1976

Before we can help we are missing 3 important bits of information
    1. what windows do you have
    2. make and model of laptop
    3. make and model of the pcmcia card

From there we can help.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The auto-detection and installation of the PCMCIA card under WinXP doesn't necessarily imply that the USB ports are now functional without additional drivers and/or software.

Did any CDs come with the card?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

NooNoo
    1. what windows do you have
    Windows XP professional

2. make and model of laptop
    IPC (large "white lable" pc maker in europe), model is: 8170

3. make and model of the pcmcia card
    It seems to be un-branded (the box doesn't show the manufacturer). The item is from hong kong (like many cheap devices). It also has no model number though it does say "NEC" if that means anything.

As for the CD it just comes with a USB 2 driver which is come from "orange micro".

Not sure if that information has helped any.

Wordsworth1976
    Last edited by wordsworth1976; December 31st, 2003 at 11:45 AM.

Sorry if I seem to be repeating myself, but did you actually use the CD to install drivers?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

uodate:

The card came with a power cable that connected to the card and ps2 port to give it more power. my laptop doesn't have ps2 so I plugged it into my home computer and then to the card in the laptop and before my eyes it works. So it seems it needed more power ofcourse the only problem is that it is very impracticle having my laptop on top of my computer so I can connect usb2 devices.

So it's not particularly well designed but it does work.

Thanks for you help guys, I think I will just have to buy myself a 2 port one that doesn't need extra juice.

Wordsworth1976

Adept I did install the drives and it seems they worked, just a shame the product isn't very good.

Wordsworth1976