AMD 64 or Pentium chip?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AMD 64 or Pentium chip?

AMD 64 or Pentium chip?

Hi

I didn't know if this is the right forum for this...Sorry if it isn't,

But i am getting a new comp soon and wondered which of those 2 chips you would go for.

Thanks

Personally I would go for a Pentium 4 with Hyper Threading
    W

Having sufficient funds, I'd get both.

Run 64bit code on the AMD as it becomes available and have the P4 available for mundane use.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    P4 EE if you can afford it
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Errr whats this for ? Server or pc or bit of both ?

For a pc I'm having a p4, for a server the amd & for a bit of both I'm just confus-ed

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    For a pc I'm having a p4, for a server the amd & for a bit of both I'm just confus-ed
    PCChips came out with a new Dual processor/dual platform Motherboard, that you can install both AMD 64bit, and P4HT. I'll look for a link...

Errr whats this for ? Server or pc or bit of both ?

Just normal desktop PC

Thnx for replies

Quote Originally Posted by houllier*
    Just normal desktop PC

Thnx for replies
    I'd go with the best priced one then. The AMD 64's where running neck and neck with the p4's in performance and sometimes outperforming higherspeed units. I'm partial to AMD though so....
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    PCChips came out with a new Dual processor/dual platform Motherboard, that you can install both AMD 64bit, and P4HT. I'll look for a link...
    Oo Oo Oo Over here pick me Pick me!!!

PCChips is the stuff!!
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Quote Originally Posted by Gollo
    I'd go with the best priced one then. The AMD 64's where running neck and neck with the p4's in performance and sometimes outperforming higherspeed units. I'm partial to AMD though so....

Really and given that it's cheaper and actually available and will run 64bit code once someone writes some 64 bit code, get the AMD. BTW - FX is faster than the 3200 but the differences at like 5%.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers
    Really and given that it's cheaper and actually available and will run 64bit code once someone writes some 64 bit code, get the AMD...
    Errr someone already wrote that code (whether its any good, I'll let you decide) Microsoft Windows XP 64 bit edition & I'm reasonably confident there are other 64 bit versions too for w2k server, & maybe they even finnished the 2003 version too by now ?

Errr someone already wrote that code (whether its any good, I'll let you decide) Microsoft Windows XP 64 bit edition & I'm reasonably confident there are other 64 bit versions too for w2k server, & maybe they even finnished the 2003 version too by now ?

I kind of meant Apps but honestly wasn't sure if XP 64 had been released yet.

If you folow the link and XP 64 is available from HP preinstalled or if you are a developer. So it's not in wide release yet and he's not going to use a server OS for his home PC.

I kind of meant Apps but honestly wasn't sure if XP 64 had been released yet.

If you folow the link and XP 64 is available from HP preinstalled or if you are a developer. So it's not in wide release yet and he's not going to use a server OS for his home PC.
    Chicken & egg ... no o/s no apps, I said for a pc to have a p4 .. I understand amd64 vendors have the s/w too, mine provides it currently 'on request' - unless they have it on 'special' on kazza

Chicken & egg ... no o/s no apps, I said for a pc to have a p4 .. I understand amd64 vendors have the s/w too, mine provides it currently 'on request' - unless they have it on 'special' on kazza
    I get ya. Saying similar things in a different way.

Don't forget though that the amd64 will run 32bit apps without a hitch and faster than anything but a P4EE from what I've seen on line and in mags. So, I'm thinkingof future compatibility as if this person will not be changing his system every 1.5 years like you or I might do.

Also, if you run a lot of adobe apps you get a pretty good boost in performance still - for some odd reason their stuff favors AMD even after patches are put on for P4. So my future is slated towards AMD a bit (all I use it for, games and photo/video).

I get ya. Saying similar things in a different way...

That's my natural condition isn't it ? - I'm often busy being 'devils advocate' & expressing the opposite to what I actually think ... here's such a case

I completely agree with you ITLU, just now there (unless you have very specific needs) isn't 'really' any justification for an amd64 in a pc due to the lack of apps... but yeah I want one anyway, too !

Here I'd have probably said get an 'ordinary' Athlon & spend your dosh on something 'more' immediately usable.