Computer wont stay on. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Computer wont stay on.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueShadowDemon
    Hey guys just to keep you updated.. I got a weird feeling a couple of days ago to turn the computer on, and it worked. Strange. Anyway I am still having the problem of it wanting to reboot at certain times especially when im playing cs. well I checked the event viewer and this is what it said.

Event Type: Error
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 5
    Date: 1/14/2004
    Time: 3:14:21 PM
    Description:
    Exception Error - '' is not a valid floating point value
    Data:
    0000: 01 00 00 00 ....

That is the last error I got before it rebooted.
    an invalid floating point value, is a numeric that the cpu cannot interpret as a number, but is told it is a number.... so it takes a dump.

Causes, bad program code, corruption in the ram, cpu instructions bad.

so that leaves, patch CS
    check the ram and the power supply
    check the cpu for physical damage.
    run a burn in test.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Say, BSD, while you are at it you sould think about issues with the power coming out of the wall. If you have an overloaded circuit, or other problem with line voltage, your machine may reboot as well. It doesn't take much of a drop to do it. I have seen it happen every time an AC, or heater, or whatever kicks on for instance.

I recently built several machines for a local church, and we had lots of trouble with spontaneous re-boots even though these 'puters had Antec TruePower 430 power suuplies. To make it short, we got an electrician to check the circuit and found that there were 3 laser printers, 7 computers, 2 copiers. overhead lights, AND exterior floodlights all running on the same circuit. It had a 20 amp, non-working breaker. Once the office was totally rewired, it was all fine.

According to AMD the number one cause of spontaneous reboots is memory. Now then...if the problems started when you installed the 1700 and now the duron won't POST at all.....was there a FSB jumper that was changed? I didn't remember whether that board had one or not but that's a thought.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by LaSERCHiPs
    Back to the original Problem...If you computer all of a sudden reboots on ya...It's a power problem...no if's and's but's about it

SO replace your power supply and any other part that you think might have been damaged as well...
    Very possibly a power issue, consider this....

Have you looked at the capacitors on the mobo? Give that a try. If any are swollen, leaking, or otherwise not 'right' looking, then you can most likely get a return on the mobo even if its out of warranty.

I dont know about ECS since I only use Asus, but I know that Asus has been honorable about this in the past with me and replaced boards outside the warranty period due to faulty caps.

The behavior you are describing is VERY congruent with symptoms I have witnessed that has been caused by bad caps. Worth a try at any rate.

hth
    Common sense, isn't...

Registered User BlueShadowDemon's Avatar
    Well, I did a SiSoft Sandra burn in test for the cpu and the memory. I did 10 runs and they both went fine. I have changed out the power supply same symptoms. I have changed the jumpers from the 100 to 133 to accomodate the XP. I will have to check the the caps on it. I havent done that yet, but the last time I looked at them few weeks back they all looked fine. I will have to check again. Its just strange that it just all of the sudden reboots, or sometimes when I leave it on during the day while I am at school I will come back and it will just lock up and restart or I have to restart it. I am going to take one of the memory sticks out for a while and see what that does, because I dont remember, but I think one of the memory stick is just a housebrand stick. I will try that also. I might also again since the computer now comes on try the duron for a while and see how it acts.
    AMD athlon XP 1700, 320 MB Ram, 40 gig hd, ATI Radeon 9700 w/128mb RAM ... awaiting upgrade