Updating CPU Problem!!

Thread: Updating CPU Problem!!

Updating CPU Problem!!

Well its been awhile!
    I bought a new CPU (AMD Athlon XP 2200+ TB) along with arctic cooling slim silent Pro fan! I took out the old fan & cpu (AMD thunderbird 1200mhz) & inserted the new CPU & mounted the fan after a manual i had! I turned on the computer the fan started but I heard 3 pip noises & then computer shut down!

I thought well the Mobo (with latest BIOS) couldnt support the new CPU so I put back the Old CPU but decided to keep the new fan since its more silent. This time I had the same problem 3 pips & then shutdown (fan did turn on), ooooh boy, something is dead i thought, but Mobo lamp was on, Graphic card was working, I thought I burned the old CPU but I decided to try the old fan & then voila everything worked!! Isnt that Special!!

Spec:
    Matsonic MS 8127c+ (266) with latest BIOS
    www.matsonic.com/ms8127c+266.htm
    AMD Thunderbird 1200 Mhz
    768 SD-RAM PC133
    Crative GeforceFX 5600XT 256Mb
    IBM 40G, IBM 120G
    Samsung DVD-rom SD616-T
    Philiphs CDRW48A

Thx for any kind of help/tips!

The Slim Silent Pro actually has a compatibility list (PDF) where Matsonic boards are not even listed.

Just that could be enough to make the new HSF and your existing board incompatible together.

Did you try the new CPU with the old HSF?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    The Slim Silent Pro actually has a compatibility list (PDF) where Matsonic boards are not even listed.

Just that could be enough to make the new HSF and your existing board incompatible together.

Did you try the new CPU with the old HSF?
    I dont think the old HSF can support the new CPU so I didnt dare trying it!
    Wow I didnt know fans also could be incompaible with Mobo´s! well then I gotta try to find another fan! Thx alot

Quote Originally Posted by daffy86
    Question is which thermal compound your using and is the fan seated properly?

I used Cooler Master High performance & the fan was seated properly & remounted it several time but it didnt help, however I checkd on Arctic coolings web page & saw that this fan is not compatible with all MoBo´s so I guess mine is among ones which are not supported!ooh Lucky me! Im getting a new fan tomorrow which is compatiblewith All Socket A MoBo´s but with my good luck I´ll probably find out that my MoBo wont support the CPU

Well Problem solved! After reading a little om arctic coolings webpage i found out that my mobo was shutting down due to the low fan RPM! so I changed the a bios setting & now it starts up & everything work fine! I guess I should have read more before giving up & bothering people at this forum!
    Thx y´all
    Cherio

Another case of failing to RTFM and STFW, eh?

We're all guilty of that at one point or another.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

aw com on, don't dump on the guy for not reading the manual..don't ya remember.....if ALL else fails....read the manual..

Quote Originally Posted by RawHide67
    if ALL else fails....read the manual..
    And the date...

Wink

I read the manual or instructions AFTER I put it together Go figure, Nothing backwards about me , and yes the whatever I put together does work
    Next is the lawnmower LOOK OUT !
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

frying Core 2 Duo???

i was wondering...unrelated to low fan speed......does anyone know..
    can i install, the soon to be released, Intel Core 2 Duo on a mobo that has a 955x chipset? will the thing work or will it fry?

My reading of it is you'd need a 975X chipset (975 claims Conroe support) on a board which also has the necessary revisions to support the new spec, or a new chipset which is being co-released with the CPU.

Red face

yes, the new chipset being co-released is the P965chipset......later in the year there will be other "flavors" released.

the reason i ask about the 955x chipset is because i didn't wait long enough and went ahead and got a mobo with this chipset....now Core 2 Duo is coming out and i have to decide if i get a new mobo and keep the D-920 or do i get a new mobo Core 2 Duo combination if in fact the 955x does not support Core 2 Duo....if it did i was thinking on just getting the Core 2 Duo CPU.

thanks.