WTF?????

Thread: WTF?????

Unhappy WTF?????

Interesting problem with a Compaq and DSL. Had a customer buy a Compaq computer then signed up for DSL. Everyting went well for them until about two weeks ago when DSL quit on them. The ISP/phone company checked everything no detected problems 'cept when they tried to connect it would try but stop and say server not found. I went out and checked the computer and replaced the network card with a 3-Com nic with the same results so I brought the computer into our shop, hooked it up on our DSL network and it worked perfectly. We are using a LinkSys router which handles the IP addressing at the shop, but at his house it's a server assigned IP so with the IP address, gateway, DNS, etc installed it doesn't connect??...anyway I work pretty closely with the ISP and we've changed modems, network card, cables, splitter all with same results. It will send data fine but recieves data in a trickle. The ISP has also checked their ports and they test good. The system is a Compaq, 3-Com nic, Alcatel DSL modem, and Windows XP home and, interestingly enough, the link lighht on the nic shows a green light but the computer shows it only to be conneted at 10mbps at both places. Anyone have any other ideas?????

Are there firmware or driver updates for the this model modem? Seem to remember some dsl routers needing firmware upgrade for showing 10M.