bootable partition magic CD
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bootable partition magic CD

bootable partition magic CD

I love PQMagic, but I'm always creating diskettes because I constantly lose them and it's really annoying. so I took the morning to create one CD which would boot to partition magic and also be able to install the program from inside windows.

I didn't expect as many road blocks as I encountered, but after much convincing the computer decided to co-operate with me and I have a working bootable partition magic cd.

here's what I did. made a bootable diskette with a spare 98 machine (format a: /s) if you use XP/2K you are going to need to delete some of the extra stuff it puts on there - (all the keyboard stuff display.sys etc) otherwise everything won't fit.

I added RAMDRIVE and mouse Support

I then zipped up all the partition magic files I needed into one file from the second rescue disk.
    PQMAGIC.OVL
    PQMAGIC.PQG
    PQPB.RTC
    RESCUE.TXT
    zABOUT.PQG
    PQMAGIC.EXE
    I also found a dos unzip program.

I edited the batch files so that the computer starts, establishes a ramdrive of 3MB. It copies the files it needs to the ramdrive and unzips the contents of the zip file there then launches partition magic.

after I tested the floppy disk, I used it to create a bootable CD (I used roxio because it's on my work computer but I'd prefer to use nero and may still make another at home) I added the partition magic windows setup file and serial number text and burnt the cd. booting into partition magic now takes about 20 seconds and 1 cd.

if anyone is interested in this I can try to put a disk image of the floppy disk minus the partition magic zip file on web space, then you can create the disk, make your zip file, drop it on the disk then make your bootable CD. let me know if this is of interest to anyone else.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Interested!

But what about licensing?

You could exclude your serial number file from this list and let users provide their own to prevent legal problems for yourself.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    Interested!

But what about licensing?

You could exclude your serial number file from this list and let users provide their own to prevent legal problems for yourself.
    I figured I'd image the floppy minus the partition magic zip file. . . . .
    you write the image to floppy then make your own partition magic zip file from a set of rescue disks pop it on the floppy. then make the bootable cd with your favorite burning program using the floppy disk and include your partition magic setup file and serial if you so choose.

the only thing you'd be getting from me is completely free programs unzip.exe mouse.com etc and the scripting. . . . so I don't think licensing is an issue.

I'm interested i'd like to see it could you send it

Quote Originally Posted by kato2274
    I figured I'd image the floppy minus the partition magic zip file. . . . .
    you write the image to floppy then make your own partition magic zip file from a set of rescue disks pop it on the floppy. then make the bootable cd with your favorite burning program using the floppy disk and include your partition magic setup file and serial if you so choose.

the only thing you'd be getting from me is completely free programs unzip.exe mouse.com etc and the scripting. . . . so I don't think licensing is an issue.
    You are still distributing copyrighted material whether its free or not ! ... however since I like this idea muchly , I think a suitably worded 'disclamer' about for educational purposes, owning all the original files blah blah blah (sorry to make you 'work' ) would cover it, if attached to any links ...

It might be 'safer' maybe if you are paranoid about any infringements, to just enlarge on the 'destructions' so far ? You have pretty much explained most of it without, having to resort to the actual image anyway.

Just my

I am really interested in getting the disk image you were talking about, as I am trying to create a bootable CD with partition magic, but keep getting this error: Error #1874
    Unable to open "D:\PQPB.RTC" file, required for operation
    This happens when I either try to run pqmagic directly from the CD, or even when I set it to copy to the ramdrive. However, if I boot off the CD I created and then put Disk 2 of the partition magic recovery disks and run pqmagic.exe from there, it loads up fine. If I copy that same disk to the ram drive and run pqmagic.exe from there, it comes up with that error. So, I was hoping if you would please be able to post the link to your disk image, or email it to me?

Cheers,
    Travis

I love PQMagic, but I'm always creating diskettes because I constantly lose them and it's really annoying. so I took the morning to create one CD which would boot to partition magic and also be able to install the program from inside windows.

I didn't expect as many road blocks as I encountered, but after much convincing the computer decided to co-operate with me and I have a working bootable partition magic cd.

here's what I did. made a bootable diskette with a spare 98 machine (format a: /s) if you use XP/2K you are going to need to delete some of the extra stuff it puts on there - (all the keyboard stuff display.sys etc) otherwise everything won't fit.

I added RAMDRIVE and mouse Support

I then zipped up all the partition magic files I needed into one file from the second rescue disk.
    PQMAGIC.OVL
    PQMAGIC.PQG
    PQPB.RTC
    RESCUE.TXT
    zABOUT.PQG
    PQMAGIC.EXE
    I also found a dos unzip program.

I edited the batch files so that the computer starts, establishes a ramdrive of 3MB. It copies the files it needs to the ramdrive and unzips the contents of the zip file there then launches partition magic.

after I tested the floppy disk, I used it to create a bootable CD (I used roxio because it's on my work computer but I'd prefer to use nero and may still make another at home) I added the partition magic windows setup file and serial number text and burnt the cd. booting into partition magic now takes about 20 seconds and 1 cd.

if anyone is interested in this I can try to put a disk image of the floppy disk minus the partition magic zip file on web space, then you can create the disk, make your zip file, drop it on the disk then make your bootable CD. let me know if this is of interest to anyone else.

being a fan of pqmagic, i too would like to try it out, send me one too

Can i have a copy as well, please.
    Thank you

I can't just "give out copies" my current disc includes volume manager, partition magic, and delpart. unless you have a license for all the software included it would be illegal for me to post an iso of the disc I use. I will try by the end of the week to post detailed instructions and contents of batch files on the disc but that's all I can do legally.

Awesome. Sounds good. No harm in posting a detailed "how to" article.
    Hello World

Thanks for that! coz i really desperate for this as my laptop hasn't floppy drive. and i wanted to partition in and install different OS. Having a boot disk just in case sh*t happens.

I might as well tell u what I'm gonna do here, coz may be i dont need the PM boot cd.
    I used PM to create another primary partition for another os (I have already done this). What I am going to do (but I havent) is to set this Active and hidden the current active primary partition, so that next time i'll boot into the new primary, and install the os. What i'm worry about is if the installation fails for whatever reason. I won't be able to boot into my existing primary.
    The other solution (i dont know it will work) is create a boot cd from win98 startup floppy disk. and using it to boot into dos and set the active primary to the existing one. but the question is: can win98 startup disk do this? I think fdisk should be able to do this, but i'm not sure. if you guys are sure about this, please tell me. Thanks

I have done some research as well, may be this will help u compiling the "how to".
    http://www.burningissues.net/how_to/...eCD/bootcd.htm

I can't just "give out copies" my current disc includes volume manager, partition magic, and delpart. unless you have a license for all the software included it would be illegal for me to post an iso of the disc I use. I will try by the end of the week to post detailed instructions and contents of batch files on the disc but that's all I can do legally.
    Chicken sh!t & other such derisive comments ! .. Don't be biting now .. 'in jest'

Perhaps what we should be thinking of is re-working it to include free stuff like Ranesh partition manager instead of PM ? (its 'better' anyway, it knows about cyclinder boundaries, stupid PM does not !) etc etc..

But a 'how to' .. (which is loads of work, but I'm still 'in' for that, but I want somebody to volunteer some web space for all the pictures it'll require, I did ask much earlier, but I still see no volunteers ..) would be ace !

Sweet! Nice job Kato....gonna have to try that myself!

PQMagic

please send what I need to make bootable partition magic CD.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hammer787
    please send what I need to make bootable partition magic CD.

Thanks
    I was taking the piss earlier As Kato quite correctly says earlier - that's copyright material & you need to pay for it ..

There's lots of places on the net you might be able to find it free, but just not here. Requests for s/w are against all the rules.. blah..blah..blah..