Soundbridge chipset reports wrong in Device Manager

Thread: Soundbridge chipset reports wrong in Device Manager

Soundbridge chipset reports wrong in Device Manager

Hi,

Let's get straight to the problem, shall we? Alright, in the hard disk controller under device manager in System properties, it is reported as this:

" Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller "

I checked the southbridge chipset on the motherboard immediately and it labels as SiS 5595. I looked else where and can even find any chip with a label as SiS 5513.

So, my question is: Do I need to update this driver so it can utilize and report correctly? It may be a bottleneck for overall performance, I think.

Thank you guys.

What motherboard? What windows? What bios revision?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by daffy86
    If you tried Windows Update and there not a new driver your system should be fine.

Believe it or not, windows update does not contain ALL drivers for ALL machines. Your advice on this occasion will not solve the problem here.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

if I remember correctly, SIS5595 chipsets were used on socket 7 and slot1 based motherboards (commonly PC-Chips, ECS and such). Driver support was poor and anything over win98 had trouble supporting it correctly.

Without knowing what board you have, I honestly couldn't say what I or anyone else could advise you to do.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Believe it or not, windows update does not contain ALL drivers for ALL machines. Your advice on this occasion will not solve the problem here.

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry I left out my system specification. What Garak said was right, the mobo is made from ECS P5SS-ME. And yes, they have poor drivers support, all mismatched.

Mobo: ECS P5SS-ME
    CPU: AMD K6-2(tm) at 450MHZ Socket 7
    Bios: Award ver1.1b
    Chipsets: SiS530/SiS5595
    Onboard Sound: CMI8338
    Memory: 64MB SDRAM
    Hard drive: Seagate ST34311A 4.3GBs; firmware:6.01
    Windows 98SE

I hope above information enough to figure out the problem. Anything else, please just ask. Thanks guy.
    Last edited by TuanSupreme18; January 7th, 2004 at 02:50 PM.

OK I learned a lesson with one of these, do not load the sis drivers, let windows do it....

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    OK I learned a lesson with one of these, do not load the sis drivers, let windows do it....

So I should be fine with what Windows had detected, even though it labeled wrong in Device manager?

If that's so, I would like to say thank you.

you can try it if you like, but it caused me to have to reload windows, it completely toasted the ide drivers and I couldnt get it back to the windows drivers.

Problems on almost the exact same system

Win98se
    motherboard: p5ss-me

I tried to install a second hard drive (Samsung 2 gig m/n = wn321620a)

The bios recognizes the drive fine.

In the Device Manager there was a red X over the drive. According to proporties, this was because the primary ide controller had problemms

Primary ide controller had an exclamation point. properties said this was a driver problem. Tried updating driver, nothing from windows update, windows98 cd, or the comp itself.

I changed the driver on the sis 5153 dual pci ide controller to standard dual pci ide controller. it didn't help and I lost my cd drive, so I switched back.

Now, both primary and secondary ide controllers have excalamation points, my cd drive is missing, and there isn't even a drive to have an X over in the device manager. Not even the C drive, even thought the computer is working.

Do I need a new driver? Should I change the settings in the sis 5513?

Please help me.

Welcome to Windrivers crownofspoons

Backup your data FIRST

Now boot 98se into safe mode.... in the registry you need to remove the registry keys for the ide controllers

my post here shows what you are looking for

When you reboot windows should reload the controllers from scratch.