Norton AntiVirus this morning...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Norton AntiVirus this morning...

Norton AntiVirus this morning...

Any one having any issues with Norton AntiVirus 2003 as of last nights patch? Word and Excell are now slow when opening, and in general any file you right click on freezes the PC for 30 sec.

I have comfirmed this one every PC in my office running XP Pro and Nav 2003.

Turning off Norton AntiVirus solves this problem.

none here.
    It's good to be the King.

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    Absolutely! Me too. On two separate WinXp pro machines. Both with Norton 2003 AV. One with Word2000 and the other with Word XP. It might be similiar to the "Quicken slowdown" of a couple of years ago. It took a week for Norton to fix it. Anyone else see it it?

OHHHHHHHHHHH thats what he meant... we had a guest in chat asking about a new virus....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

EXACTLY~!
    last nites update clearly slowed EVERYTHING down,
    Me Be thinkin its time for a switch,Sad too, ive been a loyal user for at least 5 yrs.
    Change is easy when its like underware,, BUT,this is a tough choice.
    Trout

I'll try Office when I get home and post back to confirm if last night'S update had the same effect on my system.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprex
    Any one having any issues with Norton AntiVirus 2003 as of last nights patch? Word and Excell are now slow when opening, and in general any file you right click on freezes the PC for 30 sec.

I have comfirmed this one every PC in my office running XP Pro and Nav 2003.

Turning off Norton AntiVirus solves this problem.
    Bad news:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...04010810205113

Quote Originally Posted by rgharper
    Good find rg!!!!
    Just today one of my realtor customer called with the same problem, I was on a job and it was hard to do over cell, but I had him do a repair install of Office, but the problem remained. I have to go there tomorrow and now I will go prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Good find rg!!!!
    Just today one of my realtor customer called with the same problem, I was on a job and it was hard to do over cell, but I had him do a repair install of Office, but the problem remained. I have to go there tomorrow and now I will go prepared.
    I posted it here ... then an hour or two later when my son started complaining that HIS computer was running slow ...

<sigh>

I can't wait until the senile dementia sets in so I won't care that I'm getting old and forgetful ... but at least I did remember before he started the reformat and reinstall ...

No discernable change here after the update, even with the certificate option checked.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Cool

It's not supposed to be checked, the check for publisher's certificate is supposed to be unchecked. I tried this on 3 PC's and it fixed them all. I had calls from at least 15 different business's today with the very same problem and the only thing they had in common was NAV 2003. In fact I also noticed 1 PC out of 6 on my LAN at the office wasn't affected at all. When I investigated it a little further I noticed the virus def's were date 1/07/04 just like the rest, but manual live updates for LiveReg and Norton Antivirus were available for download. I then installed NAV fresh on 1 of my demo's in my store and purposely didn't allow live update to download those two updates and presto no problem. Aren't PC's great, too many millions or is it billions of lines of code patched to the hilt no wonder we have problems like these. Maybe some Millenium we'll start fresh with an operating system that's properly thought out and programed. Ah I must be dreaming.

Crash & Burn

I am glad I dumped Norton , It took forever to load on boot
    I wonder why this has to do with verisign , I thought that was for transactions over the 'Net
    Why is NAV going onto the 'net whenever you want to open a program,, Maybe I don't understand
    I even found that nvidias drivers load a deamon on boot, so I remove that entry from the registry, It seems that everyone wants their software to access the 'net without the user knowing
    I have since gone to AVG anti virus and it has cleaned two virus's from my systems that Norton missed
    I guess symantec is shooting themselves in the foot
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    As of this morning the problem seems have been resolved without unchecking the option in Internet Explorer. Maybe once the certificates have been checked there is no longer a problem?

Verisign Certificate Expiration Causes Multiple Problems
    http://slashdot.org/articles/04/01/0...tid=172&tid=95
    Install the new Verisign Root certificate.
    https://getca.verisign.com/update.html

Had this problem on 2 Win2K home machines, NAV2003, with all Office apps. Somehow it seems to be fine now without any action.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!