Win2k Server setup - cannot format scsi drive

Thread: Win2k Server setup - cannot format scsi drive

Angry Win2k Server setup - cannot format scsi drive

Hi!

I have a big problem. I'm trying to run win2k server setup and it cannot format one of my scsi drives, says there is only 0mb available on drive when creating a partition. I have another scsi drive on the same controller/chain and it is just fine according to Win2k setup. I don't know much about scsi so I could be doing something wrong, but Setup detects both drives correctly except of course when I try to create a partition/format like I said before. Any ideas?

Thanks!

system:

Tbird 1200mhz
    ASUS A7v mb
    256mb pc133 ram
    Diamond FirePort ultra scsi controller
    2 4.3 gig scsi drives
    DON'T PANIC

First rule of thumb with SCSI issues; be sure you are properly terminated, and the ID’s are correctly assigned (well that’s two). What controller is it, what kid of hard drives are they, and what type of termination are you using...?

I would suggest checking the webpage for the drives, ensure you have all of the jumpers setup correctly; there are several things that can cause a drive not to work.

Also, what does the SCSI BIOS tell you, is there a utility you can use to ensure the addresses are being assigned as you expected?

Is it possible the drive just doesn’t work? I have seen them not work right out of the bag…

Ya_know! LTNS bud

I have no f'in clue if the drives are terminated correctly, but when I go into the scsi controller bios, it detects everything perfectly. I assigned first drive ID0, second drive ID1. Controller is using ID7. The drives are seagate cheetahs (about 3-4 years old) and I'm really not sure if they work at all. *laugh* I just pulled them out of a box, along with the controller. The ultra scsi cable itself has a small rectangular plastic and circuit "board" attached to the end of it, so I would imagine that it is the terminator.

One more thing to mention; I have 3 of the cheetah drives, and only one works thus far. I have tried changing IDs, switching cable positions, etc., but it's always the same drive that works. It's looking more like I have 2 dead drives and one good one. Thoughts?
    DON'T PANIC

If your controller has a low level format function try running that on the "dead" drives. It'll reclaim lost sectors (if possible) and tell if if there's a SCSI or drive error.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Sounds like you have termination on the cable, which should work fine (unless it's not functioning correctly ). Be sure these drives don't have termination enabled on them via a jumper, three+ years old, they are sure to have that feature. (Again, get to the specs from the manufacturer, so you can get all of the jumpers defined)

Other than that, have you tried each drive on the controller individually...? The LLF is a good suggestion, it should identify if the drive is not working…

Quote Originally Posted by techleet
    Ya_know! LTNS bud
    Oh, and: Hey Bud! LTNP (post)...