Microsoft DV camera and VCR

Thread: Microsoft DV camera and VCR

Exclamation Microsoft DV camera and VCR

All, Getting the "Cannot Initialize DV Device" message when trying to capture into PS DV 8 v. 8.10.4.0. from my Canon Optura 20 MiniDV camera. My PS-supplied 1394 controller and Optura 20 show up in my device manager and show as working with no conflicts. 1394 is listed and selected in the capture setup of PS 8. I am running a homebrew P4 2Ghz with 256Mb RAM, 1st Mainboard V118 Motherboard with SIS controllers, ATI All in Wonder 128 Pro AGP w/ TV Tuner, Soundblaster Live, Maxtor 6E030L0 & 6Y080P0 HD's, Adaptec AH2940AU SCSI Controller, Epson 636 Scanner, Sony DRU-510A DVD, Generic G6D CDROM, Win XP Home Edition with all critical updates, device driver updates installed. I can see and download still shots recorded to the memory card using the USB connection. In addition, MyDVD v. 4.5 does not even see my 1394 port or camera, only my ATI capture board. Same for Arcsoft Showbiz and Windows Movie Maker v. 5.1/2.03312.0. I have moved the 1394 board from slot to slot with no different result other than changing what IRQ it was using. Tried different 1394 cables (all small connector on one end and larger on the other), different 1394 ports on the controller card (including the inside card mounted one), disabling various other devices one at a time, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers. Even ran Regdelete to no avail. The only discrepancy I can still find and not resolve is the following: The PS8 manual makes mention of a driver called "Microsoft DV camera and VCR" that it says should show up for my camera under Imaging Devices in my Device Manager. I have not been able to get my camera driver to show up as this. It is using the Canon driver v.5.0.4.7 instead. I've un-installed this Canon driver and the camera then shows up as an AV/C Subunit. Can't find any device driver anywhere on my computer that will give me "Microsoft DV camera and VCR" under imaging devices... Anyone know anything about this? I've been working on getting this going for over a week now with no results. Hoping that someone can help me get this thing going! Any and all help greatly appreciated!
    Regards, Bob

Sometimes you have to plug it in and unplug it, a few times. Sometimes rebooting with it plugged in works. Sometimes, plugging it in after launching the DV software works. You should not have uninstalled the canon driver though. Can you put that back?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

NooNoo, Thanks for the reply. I've connected, disconnected, rebooted so many times my computer is panting. At least the results are consisent. I currently have the Canon driver back installed, but per the Pinnacle Studio 8 manual, the canon driver is incorrect for the camera listing under Device Managers Imaging Devices. Something keeps telling me that this Microsoft DV camera and VCR driver will rectify my situation, but I can't find anything about it on the Microsoft website at all.... Please keep those ideas coming though, I appreciate it! Regards, Bob

Since you said keep the ideas coming ...

Two things ... Learn to write in paragraphs ! & maybe two capture devices is causing confusion ? or them flaming all in wonder drivers ?...

I have vague recollections of a similar saga with one of my clients ... try as I might I could never get the firewire 'seen', which looks very much like here, now don't quote me on this but I think I cured it, by making the AIW just be a standard vga while I installed the firewire & got that going, then put all the AIW 'bits' back... worth a shot ?

Least this'll tell you whether the AIW drivers are causing the confus-ed-ness...

Have you been to windowsupdate with the canon on and connected?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks all for the ideas. I will attempt to setup the AIW as a standard VGA and then reinstall Studio 8, also having windowsupdate scan while the camera is connected.. One of these days...
    Bob