cant access files after xp reload

Thread: cant access files after xp reload

cant access files after xp reload

i reloaded XP Pro, (not a clean install--just went 'right over the top' with no reformatting of the drive); and am unable to access the files from the previous admin acct. They are on the disk, but cannot be accessed, (easily at least). How do I set up an admin acct that allows me to access all files on the drive including a previous admin act?

I do not want to reload all of the Office, anti virus, anti pop up, and other apps that are already in place.
    TIA
    Fallsoff...

Quote Originally Posted by fallsoffmotorcycle
    i reloaded XP Pro, (not a clean install--just went 'right over the top' with no reformatting of the drive); and am unable to access the files from the previous admin acct. They are on the disk, but cannot be accessed, (easily at least). How do I set up an admin acct that allows me to access all files on the drive including a previous admin act?

I do not want to reload all of the Office, anti virus, anti pop up, and other apps that are already in place.
    TIA
    Fallsoff...
    Right click the files/folders

permissions

then take ownership
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Quote Originally Posted by fallsoffmotorcycle

TIA
    Fallsoff...
    Welcome to Windrivers Fallsoff! (hope it didn't hurt too much)
    Anywho, this is a known issue with reinstall/repair. You'll probably have to manually copy and paste everything: meaning DATA!! But, I truly don't understand why, if you did a "repair" install, nothing would work? Are you sure you didn't do an upgrade from within windows? An upgrade, or reinstall as it appears you have done, replaces the whole OS...and necessitates reinstalling ALL apps, etc. Check this for reference:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];312369
    Ah, bloody edit:
    I just noticed you've been around for a long while. So, congrats on your first post rather than Welcome...aaaahhh: welcome anyway.
    Last edited by TripleRLtd; January 11th, 2004 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Ah, bloody edit:
    I just noticed you've been around for a long while. So, congrats on your first post rather than Welcome...aaaahhh: welcome anyway.
    Haa - he is the Master of all Lurkers....
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Hello Fallsoff. What TripleRLtd is saying is that you can boot from the XP CD, and when the installation finishes checking the system, one of your options will be to repair the present installation (not to be confused with a repair from the recovery console). If you choose this option, you keep your settings and installed program, If you install a new copy of Windows instead, you end up with a new profile created, and have to work a bit to access the old stuff even though it is still there.

I agree that the easiest thing to do is just cut and paste your old data to your current document folders. Really, though, when you have problems with XP, I would boot into the recovery console fiirst and try a repair, then run setup and take the repair option if that fails.

I hope the old admin didn't encrypt his files otherwise you may be in for a long ride.
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

Last year I built an XP Pro machine for a client (an attorney) who actually asked me how difficult it would be for the FBI to crack his encrypted files!