unable to save file downloads in Win xp

Thread: unable to save file downloads in Win xp

unable to save file downloads in Win xp

Recently my Toshiba Satellite 1115-S123 notebook with WIN XP Home started to freeze on the file download window if I use the file save button to save a downloaded file. I tried same with the open file button and the file opened off the web without a hitch. I am not sure exactly when the problem started but I just noted it recently(in the last week. The only way I can close the file download window is to end task. The associated IE window will keep responding normally. I run spybot s&d but nothing surfaced. I am running NAV 2003 for virus protection. The file download window acts like it can't find the save window for the file saved in the desired folder. Anybody have any experience with something like this. No error messages. Machine acts normally file download window just sets a without responding to any command except "end task".

Have you tried turning nortons off and seeing if it works?

What firewall are you using? you may need to adjust some settings and if you are using the XP firewall turn it off...

One way around it is to use a download manager like download accelerator but this won't fix the actual issue
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

Quote Originally Posted by Mayet
    Have you tried turning nortons off and seeing if it works?

What firewall are you using? you may need to adjust some settings and if you are using the XP firewall turn it off...

One way around it is to use a download manager like download accelerator but this won't fix the actual issue
    I disabled Norton and tried to download with the same result. The file download window just sets there without any file save window coming up and no errors. I am sure it isn't a firewall issue because it responds the same on my dial-up connection, my wireless connection to cable modem, and my lan connection. I have a firewall setting on my dial-up connection but not on my lan connection since I am behind a router.

It is almost like a procedure is missing or the call to the procedure is corrupt or missing.

Thanks for the help

When was the last time you emptied your temporary internet files?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I've had this before in 2k & XP when the previous download you did was saved to a network location that is no longer available. For example, a network drive that is no longer mounted.

Is that likely in this case?

I am sure you can change it to another location somewhere in the registry though I have no idea where.

Just an idea.

emr

Quote Originally Posted by emr
    I've had this before in 2k & XP when the previous download you did was saved to a network location that is no longer available. For example, a network drive that is no longer mounted.

Is that likely in this case?

I am sure you can change it to another location somewhere in the registry though I have no idea where.

Just an idea.

emr
    I will check that out because I mapped a network drive on another machine and used True Image to image my laptop harddrive. Then disconnected from the network. That drive may not have been disconnected in the Tools setting. If all else fails I could search the registry for the path I backup my hard drive up to.
    Thanks for the ideas