It is my goal to get more certifications in 2004. Today, I took the test for Server+ certification.

I started studying around the first of December. I used the self-study book by New Riders. I liked the book. I think it explained things well. It may not have covered everything, but it did as well as I expect any other book would have done. The book came with a CD that included practice questions. I was not impressed with the questions. I felt the questions lacked sufficient detail for a confident answer.

I also bought the Transcender sample tests. I was hesitant to do this. When I got my only other technical certification, A+, I did not use any practice tests. I have heard that the questions on Transcender tests are so close to the actual tests, that some people are able just memorize the Transcender tests and then pass the real test. I did not want people to think I fell into this category. Anyway, I really liked the Transcender software. The test questions were definitely not exact duplicates of the real tests. If somebody simply tried to memorize the Transcender test and then take the test, they would be very disappointed with their grade. The Transcender tests did a real good job of covering the material, and a good job of explaining why each possible answer was either right or wrong. Specific sources were also cited in case somebody wanted to look up an answer.

Going into today’s real test, I was VERY confident. I expected to get around 90% or so, but I was hoping for a perfect score. Not far into the test, I realized I would be grateful if I just passed it (I passed it with a 76%). I think the CompTIA questions were poorly written. Fairly often, I feel they lacked enough detail to form a conclusive diagnosis of the problem. It could be argued that I was not sufficiently prepared. I do not think this was the case, but I think it would be fair to meet CompTIA half way and say that I should have prepared more, and they should work harder on their questions. I do not remember having any complaints about the A+ questions when I took that. Maybe I was more prepared for that exam, or perhaps those questions were better composed as a result of having been through more revisions than the Server+ test. In a perfect world, I could sit down with somebody from CompTIA and discuss each question.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Hopefully, somebody will benefit from them.