[RESOLVED] Internet connection problems.

Thread: [RESOLVED] Internet connection problems.

Howiee

Post Internet connection problems.

Hi, I need help with a problem I am experiencing with my computer and internet connection. I have a dial up internet connection that had been working with no problems. Then I started experiencing failure to connect problems. The modem would dial and it would connect to the server. Then a message would come up error_ppp_no_protocols_configured RAS error code 720 I feel I am pretty much computer literate and am even know by friends and co-workers as the guy to go to with a computer problem. I'm A+ certified also. But this problem has me stumped. I think I did everything like check settings, reload drivers, I even replaced the modem all to no avail. I'm at the point where I believe it is something I did to the system by uninstalling all the internet junk Microsoft includes with Windows. I have Windows 98 1st edition on an AMD K-6 2, 450
    128 megs ram, Diamond Supra max 56k v.90 modem. I believe my only option is to format and install Win98 fresh. But don't want to do this as I recently did this and the system is where I want it. I think if I can find out the files that are missing or the registry items that were deleted I could reload them and have it work. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm close to biting the bullet and doing a fresh install of Windows. Thank you....

After reading your question, I became quite curious, so I started trying a few things, but I couldn't produce the error you got, so I did some hunting, and found the following support page for 'Supernet.com', an ISP in Central PA. If you click on the link below, then scan under the heading "Common Windows 95/98 Errors", they have a suggestion for fixing your problem. I would have pasted the instructions here, but who knows what copyright problems that may generate.
    http://support.supernet.com/softcast.shtml

Well, good luck, and if you want, let me know how it works...

Ed
    [email protected]

Look in your network configuration , be sure TCP/IP is installed , possibly re-install it ...

Howiee

Unhappy

Hi,
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. I did try reinstalling the DUN and all the networking protocols such as the TCP/IP stuff. I had tried this before but it didn't work, but I did it again with the same results. That message came up and it wouldn't connect to the internet. The funny thing about this is that after installing juno's free e-mail. You know... the one where you call up, connect and download the ads and e-mail then you log off... Well that works fine. But when I try to log on to the web it doesn't work. I think that my only recourse now is to partition, reformat and reinstall MicroSucks Winblows 98. I'm convinced that this is a case of Bill G. not wanting users to uninstall some of the bloated junk he puts on the OS. If you do, you get punished for doing so. Well Mr. 100 Billion $$$ man. I've been punished, thank you very much... Thank you to every one that offered assistance.

Smile

hi just reinstall win98 over itself,easier then fdisk and format,good luck Clauded