DDR memory backward compatible?

Thread: DDR memory backward compatible?

DDR memory backward compatible?

Hi folks,

I have a board that uses DDR 266 MHZ memory. Pricing on DDR 333 is cheaper right now. Is DDR backward compatible (can I use 333 memory on a 266 bus motherboard)

Thanks,

Al
    "It is very dark here. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Quote Originally Posted by jakkwb
    Hi folks,

I have a board that uses DDR 266 MHZ memory. Pricing on DDR 333 is cheaper right now. Is DDR backward compatible (can I use 333 memory on a 266 bus motherboard)

Thanks,

Al
    99.9999999999999999% sure that it is (but then you get into registered and unregistered)
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Check the specs on your mobo.....thats your safest bet...

I had one that uses pc2700, I was using pc2100 in there, it would run but I had to bump the processor down or it would freeze up alot....its now gotten what it wants...and its a happy puter!!!

It's backwards compatible from everything I've seen. I've had 2100 running in 2700 boards and higher, I've also had 2700 running in 2100 boards before... Never read a manual tho, and in either of those cases I only do it under the order of the customer.
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.