Server Backup Software Alternatives

Thread: Server Backup Software Alternatives

Server Backup Software Alternatives

I need advice on Backup software/solutions from you administrators. I setup a lot of networks for small companies. Some of them can afford Veritas Backup Exec, which I really like. But some of them can't. For those up until this point, I've been using ntbackup, which I hate! It's a very good, basic backup utility, but the scheduling and logging abilities are HORRIBLE.

For some users who do not have a Server OS, I've been using Stomp's BackupMyPC, which works nicely. But this does not work on Server platforms.

What is your advice? Is there another application that is not as expensive and Veritas, but better than ntbackup?

I use CA's ARCServ ver9, aka Brightstor. Works great for me, still a little expensive, but about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of Backup exec...

If you ever go Linux: http://www.arkeia.com/pr/pr_free_08.2000.html or http://www.amanda.org/. The first also covers 2 Win workstations. I didn't check about the 2nd.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

I've been eyeing this program called Backup Assist that uses the built in Windows backup program. but it does the scheduling instead. It also will email you the backup result logs and email you to remind you to put in the tape. And it's dirt cheap.

from their site...

"BackupAssist uses Windows' Backup utility to perform the backups, so your tapes will be in the standard backup format. No proprietary software is needed to use the tapes. "

haven't tried it, but there is a downloadable 30 day trial.
    Last edited by craigmodius; January 15th, 2004 at 07:31 AM.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

http://www.centered.com/

for what its worth I've run this for many years

Hope you make a good choice

Quote Originally Posted by craigmodius
    I've been eyeing this program called Backup Assist that uses the built in Windows backup program. but it does the scheduling instead. It also will email you the backup result logs and email you to remind you to put in the tape. And it's dirt cheap.

from their site...

"BackupAssist uses Windows' Backup utility to perform the backups, so your tapes will be in the standard backup format. No proprietary software is needed to use the tapes. "

haven't tried it, but there is a downloadable 30 day trial.

that one sounds pretty good. though their site is offline. i'll try it out if it comes back online.

the product from centered looks decent, though it doesn't have native support for tape drives.

I forgot all about ARCServ. I'll check back into that.

Thanks! I'd still be happy to hear some more suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by tk421
    I need advice on Backup software/solutions from you administrators. I setup a lot of networks for small companies. Some of them can afford Veritas Backup Exec, which I really like. But some of them can't. For those up until this point, I've been using ntbackup, which I hate! It's a very good, basic backup utility, but the scheduling and logging abilities are HORRIBLE.

For some users who do not have a Server OS, I've been using Stomp's BackupMyPC, which works nicely. But this does not work on Server platforms.

What is your advice? Is there another application that is not as expensive and Veritas, but better than ntbackup?
    Yeah my company did not want to pay the money for Veritas until the first time the server in a remote office went utter up on us. When it took a day and a half to get it up and running with users at an almost stand still we in the I.T. department very calmly explained how if in the first place we would have paid for a good reliable backup solution this would have not happened. Ordered Backup Exec an hour later. To bad things had to happen that way to get our way.
    Growing up I've spent half of my money on Fast cars, fast women and Booze the other half I just wasted!

Quote Originally Posted by mongo69
    Yeah my company did not want to pay the money for Veritas until the first time the server in a remote office went utter up on us. When it took a day and a half to get it up and running with users at an almost stand still we in the I.T. department very calmly explained how if in the first place we would have paid for a good reliable backup solution this would have not happened. Ordered Backup Exec an hour later. To bad things had to happen that way to get our way.

It really is too bad. Most people really recognize the need for backups, but it is hard to make them understand why to invest in a professional software instead of something that just works in theory. My tasks are usually concerned with maintaining backups, and the logging and notifications in a software like BE are really indispensible in that regard.

I have not had to restore an entire system from backups before. I know BE has the "Intelligent Disaster Recovery" option, but I am unclear on how exactly it works, and how long it would take. Is that what you've setup to avoid the scenario you described?

Quote Originally Posted by tk421

I don't know if this will be of any help, however, I do use this Ceren Backup for my backups as well as clients. Maybe worth checking into.
    Cheers

There used to be a lot of OEM copies of Retrospect from Dantz around.

http://www.dantz.com/

LaCie used to bundle it with their re-branded Quantum 40/80 DLT drives.

With its confusing interface, it was a pain to setup, but it did work. I never had to do more than file restores with it, though.

Registered User Rifleman @ Layman's PC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowland
    http://www.centered.com/

for what its worth I've run this for many years

Hope you make a good choice

I have many customers that use secondcopy and love it. Questions about backing up to tape??? If the drive has a driveletter secondcopy will back up to it.
    Those who do not know, are lost...