AD Problem - DC GUID won't resolve to IP
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AD Problem - DC GUID won't resolve to IP

AD Problem - DC GUID won't resolve to IP

I just ran dcdiag on a new Win2K Server installation and got the following error:

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\TECHSERV
    Starting test: Connectivity
    TECHSERV's server GUID DNS name could not be resolved to an
    IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc
    Although the Guid DNS name
    (1b5585cb-b2cf-4335-a5fd-891d42XXXXXX._msdcs.DOMAIN.com) couldn't be resolved, the server name (techserv.techleet.com) resolved to the IP address (63.200.XXX.XXX) and was pingable. Check that the IP address is registered correctly with the DNS server.
    ......................... TECHSERV failed test Connectivity

Any ideas? I have no idea what I'm doing

I knew NT4 Server, but Win2K is a bit different

I installed DNS and configured it without reverse lookups, but I'm not sure if I even did THAT right. I'm slippin!

Any ideas? Thanks!
    DON'T PANIC

Quote Originally Posted by techleet
    I just ran dcdiag on a new Win2K Server installation and got the following error:

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\TECHSERV
    Starting test: Connectivity
    TECHSERV's server GUID DNS name could not be resolved to an
    IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc
    Although the Guid DNS name
    (1b5585cb-b2cf-4335-a5fd-891d42XXXXXX._msdcs.DOMAIN.com) couldn't be resolved, the server name (techserv.techleet.com) resolved to the IP address (63.200.XXX.XXX) and was pingable. Check that the IP address is registered correctly with the DNS server.
    ......................... TECHSERV failed test Connectivity

Any ideas? I have no idea what I'm doing

I knew NT4 Server, but Win2K is a bit different

I installed DNS and configured it without reverse lookups, but I'm not sure if I even did THAT right. I'm slippin!

Any ideas? Thanks!
    Come on techleet, you know what you're doing. All you need is more XP with 2kServer. Is the server working? Are all domain compuirters communicating? What are your particular problems, not just an error message...which as you've noticed, can be quite cryptic. Post more details on your situation.

EDITED BY DAMNED ANGEL
    Last edited by Damned Angel; January 15th, 2004 at 12:19 AM.

Now, techleet, what i would recommend doing is to delete your DNS zones and rebuild them, however make sure you set them as AD integrated. Be sure to create the reverse DNS lookup zone. Once that is done, create the proper A record and Pointer record for the domain controller. One record needs to be created for each IP address that the server has. Hopefully that should help sort things out.

EDITED BY DAMNED ANGEL
    Last edited by Damned Angel; January 15th, 2004 at 12:18 AM.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

It sounds like you don't have either a) DNS running on a DC in AD mode b) your DC techserv isn't using the correct DNS resolver (in your tcp/ip settings) c) you've deleted some entries in the DNS zone.

DNS on 2000/03 need the following entries under the DNS zone:

I'll bet you $100 your missing some of the above entries in your DNS zone.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    EDITED BY DAMNED ANGEL
    I'm absolutely certain this won't help at all BUT ..... Ooooo-ooo ! I think that's a first.

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    I'm absolutely certain this won't help at all BUT ..... Ooooo-ooo ! I think that's a first.
    And what exactly was taken out???

Banned
    No one ever told me DNS could get so brutal that it would have to get edited before I could read it.

The M in MX record is for 1000. The X is for X-Rated.

DNS is filthy.

Quote Originally Posted by silencio
    The M in MX record is for 1000. The X is for X-Rated.

DNS is filthy.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA
    DON'T PANIC

Ok, well I reinstalled Win2k Server -- again.

Now this time I kept the network cable unplugged, just in case msblast.exe decided to pay me a visit and ruin my party.

So I'm doing a clean install as we speak (er...type). During initial install, I told it to stay in a workgroup, not join a domain (no domain to join anyway).

Ya know, I should explain this better. Here's some background:

I have 2 machines on my network. One is WinXP Pro and the other is WinME. (Don't laugh). This Win2K Server is going to be used for Exchange 2003 /w OWA. Since there are no other servers on the network, the server has to be a DC for a new domain (so exchange will run), has to have Active Directory (ditto) and be a DNS server (so AD will run). Yes, the server has a static IP.

Ok, so now we know where I'm going, but how the hell do I get there? LOL

Questions:

- I seem to recall DCPROMO.EXE automatically installing/configuring DNS for me when I promoted the server to DC and it couldn't find a dns server on the network. Am I trippin? Do I have to manually create ghetto zones? Can I just create a caching dns and walk away? Doesn't AD create the dns entries it needs when you install it? wft?

- Why is Win2K infinitely more complicated/bloated than NT4? This is jacked.

- Do you even NEED Active Directory installed for Exchange 2003 to work?

- I'm going to change my alias to Techweak.

- Help. Somebody point me to a Win2K Server/AD HOWTO For Dummies website.

Thanks!
    Last edited by techleet; January 15th, 2004 at 03:02 PM.
    DON'T PANIC

Did you forget to point the server to itself as the prefered DNS server in the network properties? Could it be that simple? Of course, DNS installed correctly is important to...

And you are using a static IP as well...right?

- Do you even NEED Active Directory installed for Exchange 2003 to work?

- I'm going to change my alias to Techweak.

- Help. Somebody point me to a Win2K Server/AD HOWTO For Dummies website.

Thanks!
    2k server has some very nice walkthroughs - if you bring up the "configure my server" window, there are links to the walkthroughs further down the page. The links point to the help files - this is not online.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

This link should help you through most of a W2k Server DC setup

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...o/depprof1.asp

For W2k server to become a DC

DNS must be install and the services running. DNS does not have to be configured, but the server does need to point to itself for DNS. DCPromo.exe will configure DNS for you when you decide on an Active Directory name. DNS can be configured before you run DCPromo, but it will set it up if it isn't. DNS will use Root Hint servers by default, unless you specify DNS Forwarders. DNS should work fine with just the Root Hints, but I have run into issues with only using Root Hints before. You shouldn't have a problem though.

If you want to run Exchange 2000/2003, Active Directory must be running on a domain controller. The Exchange setup will not run if it cannot find an Active Directory. Normally Exchange is installed on a member server in a w2k/w2k3 AD domain. It looks like you only have one server and this shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TNR
    DNS must be install and the services running. DNS does not have to be configured, but the server does need to point to itself for DNS. DCPromo.exe will configure DNS for you when you decide on an Active Directory name. DNS can be configured before you run DCPromo, but it will set it up if it isn't. DNS will use Root Hint servers by default, unless you specify DNS Forwarders. DNS should work fine with just the Root Hints, but I have run into issues with only using Root Hints before. You shouldn't have a problem though.
    Thanks for the advice!
    I checked my dns server setup (I let dcpromo install/configure it) and it says Root Hints are not required because the server is setup as a Root Server. I cannot use forwarders (which I need) because, again, it is setup as a Root Server. Is there a way around this?

My server was not pointing to itself for preferred dns, it was pointing to my ISPs dns. I have changed it to point to itself now. I assume i'm going to have to demote server, uninstall DNS and AD and reinstall it all. Correct? Or if there's a way to fix the DNS without reading 800 pages of the help file...?

Thanks for any and all input!
    DON'T PANIC

My server was not pointing to itself for preferred dns, it was pointing to my ISPs dns. I have changed it to point to itself now. I assume i'm going to have to demote server, uninstall DNS and AD and reinstall it all. Correct? Or if there's a way to fix the DNS without reading 800 pages of the help file...?

Thanks for any and all input!
    NO! You don't have to reinstall. 1) Delete the dot zone in your DNS zones 2) Make sure your machine is pointing to itself for DNS resolution 3) reboot the machine.

If you do this, a short while after reboot you'll see a) root hints populated b) the correct domain relevent DNS entries in your local domain zone c) your server will resolve any external queries. In a nutshell, the machine will configure itself it's it's pointing to itself and you delete the dot that makes it authoratative for the world.