USB Mass Storage Drive - Code 10 - BIOS - MOTHERBOARD -
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: USB Mass Storage Drive - Code 10 - BIOS - MOTHERBOARD -

Question USB Mass Storage Drive - Code 10 - BIOS - MOTHERBOARD -

Somebody wrote "Welcome to the world of WinDrivers" - really, though - I'm here. And it sucks.

when little bitch wrote:
    When I plug in the USB Mass Storage Drive into my USB port it finds the hardware and installs drivers for it but will not detect it in MY Computer. Also when I go to Device Manager and check the properties it shows that there is a Code 10 Error. I can't mess with the resources and was wondering if there was a patch out there for this. If anyone knows the answer to this I'd appreciate your help.

If anyone knows the answer to this PLEASSE PLEASE HELP. Is it really necessary to update my motherboard? How dangerous is it to screw around with the BIOS? I had it, at one point, appearing under disk drives as "USB Disk" in the Device Manager, but never did it appear next to the hard drive - i.e. I could not use it.

It's never been initialized or used so I wouldn't mind formatting it if that would help - but I don't know how to do this: "If it is an extenal drive and has never been initialized, you will need to do that in the Disk Management MMC, and then set it up with a drive letter." Never have had the chance.

Here's my scenario:
    WINXP
    PROFESSIONAL
    VERSION 2002
    Service Pack 1

Intel PENTIUM III - Motherboard: SE440BX-2
    USB 2.0 - newly installed and working fine
    500 MHz
    128 MB of RAM

I'm also using USB Netgear/USB Midiman/USB Mobile Pre/USB Intellimouse. All of these work just fine.

frustration city
    Last edited by noddy44; January 16th, 2004 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noddy44

Intel PENTIUM III - Motherboard: SE440BX-2
    USB 2.0 - newly installed and working fine
    What did you mean saying USB 2.0 - extra PCI USB 2.0 card or on-board USB?
    This motherboard (an old Intel 440BX chipset,Slot1) does not have any onboard USB 2.0 ports, just only USB 1.1 ...

Quote Originally Posted by noddy44
    Somebody wrote "Welcome to the world of WinDrivers" - really, though - I'm here. And it sucks.
    Welcome to the world of Windrivers! But WHY does it suck???
    We only try to help, we DO NOT know it all!!! The hardest thing about all of this is not being there, but we try anyway. And that says a lot!!!
    Error Code 10, we will check...or at least I will. AND. there is no need to upgrade your motherboard (at least so far). So, what is the brand of this "mass storage device"...in fact, what kind of mass storage device is it? And, speaking of mainboards, what brand and model?
    Geesh, just give us a chance with this long distance FREE support!

Error code 10 is usually "driver cannot start", meaning the driver is wrong or the Windows version is wrong for the driver.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Just found this:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=329184
    Although it applies to win2k, it got me thinking. You say you have SP1 installed, but what about the USB 2 patch?

apology - confusion

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Welcome to the world of Windrivers! But WHY does it suck???
    We only try to help, we DO NOT know it all!!! The hardest thing about all of this is not being there, but we try anyway. And that says a lot!!!
    Error Code 10, we will check...or at least I will. AND. there is no need to upgrade your motherboard (at least so far). So, what is the brand of this "mass storage device"...in fact, what kind of mass storage device is it? And, speaking of mainboards, what brand and model?
    Geesh, just give us a chance with this long distance FREE support!

TripleRLtd,
    I'm sorry: I actually didn't realize that the name of this forum was WinDrivers and when you posted in another reply: "Welcome to the world of WinDrivers," I thought you were being sarcastic about the flawedness of Windows Drivers - not actually welcoming someone. Please accept my apology. I _do_ respect and appreciate this online forum.
    Yours,
    Noddy44

usb 2 patch?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Just found this:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=329184
    Although it applies to win2k, it got me thinking. You say you have SP1 installed, but what about the USB 2 patch?
    What USB 2 patch? Sounds good....

Although I think it applies to win2k not xp. If you think it's worth a try, I will go for it.

In the meantime, I am going to try to see if the USB ext harddrive works on another computer.

ALSO, by the way, I updated my motherboard using a BIOS update from Intel. The process was scary because at one point the computer failed to boot xp. I unplugged everything and I was back in business. Old old motherboard - Intel SE440BX-2...! Which intel no longer supports.

...time for a mac?

so this is a usb 2 card, thats working ok but the usb 1.1's are not?

Who made the usb 2.0 card? Have you had a wander round www.usbman.com? Great troubleshooting there.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

external hdd problem

hi, i have the exact problem with an external hdd; not recognized by xp sp I; and code 10 in the device manager , saying the device (when recognized) cannot start...
    pleassssse tell me how dod you solve the problem!
    thank you ))

Quote Originally Posted by irridiumh
    hi, i have the exact problem with an external hdd; not recognized by xp sp I; and code 10 in the device manager , saying the device (when recognized) cannot start...
    pleassssse tell me how dod you solve the problem!
    thank you ))
    Welcome to WD irridiumh.
    Here is what code 10 mean and what the suggestions are. Try them and let us know if it works. If not we will need more info about the external drive:
    Code 10

If the device has a "FailReasonString" value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator places this registry string value there. If there is no "FailReasonString" in the hardware key, the following generic error message is displayed:

This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device.

Solution button: Update Driver

To resolve this error code, make sure the device is connected to the computer correctly. For example, make sure all cables are plugged in fully and that all adapter cards are properly seated. Follow the suggested solution button and update the device driver. It may be possible to remove the device and redetect it using the Add New Hardware wizard.

Smile USB Mass Storage Drive - Code 10

I am currently experiencing the same problem as noddy44, but with a different type of device. I have a generic (non-branded) USB caddy with a 60GB Toshiba HD (notebook form factor). Here are my observations:

1. The USB HD works with newer PC's, e.g. Dell Optiplex GX-240 (P4, 2.4G) desktop, Dell Latitude D505 (Centrino, 1.4G) notebook, Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo-D (P4, 2.4G) notebook, but not with older PC's, e.g. Compaq Evo (P4, 1.7G) desktop (my computer), Compaq Deskpro (P3, 677M).

I am fortunate enough to have access to a variety of computers in the company I work for. Unfortunately, this HD does not work on my computer.

2. Most of the PC's tested had Win 2000, SP2 or SP4, except Amilo-D, which had Win XP Pro. For the newer PC's, installation is straight-forward, without any need for drivers or anything. But for the older PC's, the error appears.

Although I am still doing my research, I do not think this is OS-dependent. I did find a Win 2000 patch in Microsoft (through Windows Update) that relates to an SP4 bug that might have an effect on this issue, but I installed the patch, and still the same problem.

I also don't think tinkering with the motherboard or BIOS settings or anything as radical as formatting the PC is required.

Sorry, I don't have any answers. Just sharing my thoughts.

Welcome to Windrivers MIB

Code 10 points to an acpi issue. This is born out by your observation that newer machines don't have this problem.

If there is a bios upgrade that mentions acpi or "general issues" I would try that followed by an overlay install to ensure that the windows kernal does update correctly.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers MIB

Code 10 points to an acpi issue. This is born out by your observation that newer machines don't have this problem.

If there is a bios upgrade that mentions acpi or "general issues" I would try that followed by an overlay install to ensure that the windows kernal does update correctly.
    Thank you very much for your suggestions, NooNoo, and sorry for the long delay in my reply.

All this time, I have been browsing through the Internet for solutions to this Code 10 error, to no avail.

I tried your suggestion and upgraded my BIOS from the Compaq website, but it did not solve the problem either.

Finally, I have learned to live with this nuisance by simply connecting the device to another computer and transfering files through the network. Does the job anyway.

Once again, thanks!

Code 10 error with USB enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by mib
    Thank you very much for your suggestions, NooNoo, and sorry for the long delay in my reply.

All this time, I have been browsing through the Internet for solutions to this Code 10 error, to no avail.

I tried your suggestion and upgraded my BIOS from the Compaq website, but it did not solve the problem either.

Finally, I have learned to live with this nuisance by simply connecting the device to another computer and transfering files through the network. Does the job anyway.

Once again, thanks!
    I'm not sure if you already have a solution to this but try the following.
    I had the same Code 10 error when I installed my USB enclosure with a 200 gig
    hard drive with windows 2000. The solution that fixed my problem was setting my hard to MASTER instead of the Cable Select pin settings. Their was nothing in the instructions telling you to do this. I happened to find the solution on the web somewhere.

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by pagiii
    I'm not sure if you already have a solution to this but try the following.
    I had the same Code 10 error when I installed my USB enclosure with a 200 gig
    hard drive with windows 2000. The solution that fixed my problem was setting my hard to MASTER instead of the Cable Select pin settings. Their was nothing in the instructions telling you to do this. I happened to find the solution on the web somewhere.

Patrick
    Welcome to WD.

Thank you very much for using your first post to help out. Most people, like me, came here to get answers for problems they could not solve, but you used your first post to suggest a solution.

I will try your suggestion shortly. Thanks.
    I don't know, and I don't care.