Windows 98 to SE
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windows 98 to SE

Windows 98 to SE

Hi,

I have Windows 98 on my computer with a few corrupted files. I've gotten a Windows 98 SE disc, but when I try to instal it I get a message that my setup is incompatible with SE.

Is there some way to install SE over 98?

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by petermaud
    Hi,

I have Windows 98 on my computer with a few corrupted files. I've gotten a Windows 98 SE disc, but when I try to instal it I get a message that my setup is incompatible with SE.

Is this Se disk a full install or upgrade disk? Have you tried repairing/ replacing the corrupted files with System File Checker? If the disk is an upgrade disk, make sure no antivirus programs are running. I would also stop all other programs. If it still won't install, use a floppy boot disk and install over the top in dos.

It's a full SE install disc. I've tried repairing files, but with little success.

When I try to install it the settup doesn't allow anything but to abort the process.

I'm fairly familiar with the requirements of antivirus software, so that wouldn't be a problem.

I'm a little hesitant about by-passing and installing over the present arrangement.

Are there any OS problems that are likely to arise?

You have a full install disk. You cannot upgrade from that disk. Back up your data, reformat the drive, install Win98se, install your programs, install your data.

Well that answers it.

Thanks for your help

Peter

Hmmm,

I've been checking some of the readme files on the disc. I've come to the conclusion it may be an upgrade disc rather than a full install as I previously mentioned.

Is there some way of determining whether it's a full install or an upgrade?

If it's a authentic Microsoft disk, it will say whether it is an upgrade or full install right on the front. It will also specify on the packaging.

It's an authentic microsoft disc all right, but it's a friend's backup copy, and I have no way of contacting him at present.

Hi,

When you try to install from a dos boot, do you get a message that says you already have an operating system installed? If so you have a full OEM verison of Windows 98SE. If it is an upgrade disk you have to be in
    Windows to install.

The best way to install Windows 98SE is to copy the win98 sub-directory from the CD to your hard drivem and run setup from there.

If all else fails you should try to recover your registry or clean it up and then try to install.

It's an authentic microsoft disc all right, but it's a friend's backup copy, and I have no way of contacting him at present.
    Hmmm, should we be supporting this???

Not anymore, I don't think.

Authentic copy?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

It's a genuine, actual, 100%, complete, pure, total, absolute, pure and simple, digitally remastered, copy of the original.

Oh, come on...who here doesn't, just a little bit...

Besides, it isn't our place to judge this guys intentions. It is up to a moderator. So if you have ideas, help out, otherwise, "let it be...let it be...Oh, let it be...let it be. Whisper words of wisdom, let it be....! ! !"

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    Oh, come on...who here doesn't, just a little bit...

Besides, it isn't our place to judge this guys intentions. It is up to a moderator. So if you have ideas, help out, otherwise, "let it be...let it be...Oh, let it be...let it be. Whisper words of wisdom, let it be....! ! !"
    "...And when the broken hearted people, living in the world agree: There will be an answer..."
    Well, here is mine: It is one thing to do this "elsewhere", and another thing entirely to support this on a public forum owned by an Internet Media company.

Part deus: Let's get the original 98 install running right again. We CAN do that, right????

Aside from any ethical issues, Windows 98SE would be better than the Windows 98. In order to use a full install disk to "upgrade" the win.com in the windows subdirectory, and any other instance of win.com on the drive, must be renamed before installing the Win98SE CD. Good Luck.