PS2 home network games???

Thread: PS2 home network games???

Question PS2 home network games???

Is it possible to run a home server for PS2 games? In particular I mean for Need for speed: Underground. If someone had two PS2s on a home network could they be linked without going out to Sony’s servers? I do not have PS2 I am asking for a friend. I apologize up front for not being familiar with the console our how it connects to other systems. Thanks for you help.

Quote Originally Posted by ToX_Boy
    Is it possible to run a home server for PS2 games? In particular I mean for Need for speed: Underground. If someone had two PS2s on a home network could they be linked without going out to Sony’s servers? I do not have PS2 I am asking for a friend. I apologize up front for not being familiar with the console our how it connects to other systems. Thanks for you help.
    I thought PS2 could already be linked

i dont know for sure. but i dont beleive that this will work. for the EA games, EA runs all of the servers, this is why there are no EA games for xbox live. WIth the xbox, there are many games that you can play over a LAN, but i dont beleive the PS2 games work the same way.
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

From what I have read else ware if the two consoles are put on dissimilar networks then they can see each other. What I have not found any info on is if for Need for speed, Sony’s sever is doing anything more than just pointing one play to the other or actually hosting some unique bit of data. If one ran a PC with two NIC (server) and forced each PS2 to be on different networks. Then this server was to point PS2#1 directly to PS2#2 would the two PS2’s see each other??? Do the PS2 host the game or is it run off of Sony’s server, if so Sony would have to be providing a lot of service for free??

Quote Originally Posted by ToX_Boy
    From what I have read else ware if the two consoles are put on dissimilar networks then they can see each other. What I have not found any info on is if for Need for speed, Sony’s sever is doing anything more than just pointing one play to the other or actually hosting some unique bit of data. If one ran a PC with two NIC (server) and forced each PS2 to be on different networks. Then this server was to point PS2#1 directly to PS2#2 would the two PS2’s see each other??? Do the PS2 host the game or is it run off of Sony’s server, if so Sony would have to be providing a lot of service for free??
    im pretty sure it is run from a server. but not by sony. Electronic Arts controlls all the servers for their PS2 online games.
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs