30 gb IBM HD
    700mhz p3
    256mb pc133
    64 mb vid (AGP)
    dlink nic
    lucent modem card
    cd rom
    win XP pro and win2k pro

Machine stops booting after mup.sys. tested machine by taking out cards and have eliminated just about every component as the problem. latest bios i could find is in, tested harddrive, different video card, popped in another cpu, reseated/used other pc133 cards, took out nic and modem, floppy and cdrom, reset cmos, disabled onboard sound and onboard usb, still no joy. reformatted and attempted install of xp but still stops after mup.sys. same with 2k. the only thing that's left is the PS which i will attempt to test later.
    then i thought of trying lastest via 4in1 drivers but how to install without OS?
    What else to try?

thanks,
    d

The only mup.sys issue I know of is a security issue http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;311967
    and not an installation problem. Seems like the only hardware component you haven't replaced is the board. Strange that the installation for both OS's hangs at the same place, but, hey, there is only one piece of hardware left.

There's loads of 'net bitches' about mup.sys doing this, mup.sys slowing down that ...

Windows halt after loading mup.sys during boot-up just as an example - the suggested fix is
    If you encountered a similar problem, try to take out your PCI cards one-by-one. You might be able to boot-up again. Good luck!
    Which I'll qualify & say ... take everything non essential to boot out first, re-run o/s setups, then add them back one at a time

My understanding is that its caused by bios with certain hardware combinations, even swapping pci cards 'through slots'(re-ordering) can be enough to cure matters, flashing bios usually helps too, as its the sort of thing they can fix pretty easy, its to do with classes of device not being able to share interupts because of how they signal that & where the error is (as opposed to share the same number, which is another similar issue, but usually that lets you boot) & indeed a chipset patch would help if you 'somehow' got it there first, into the windows pre-install.
    Last edited by confus-ed; January 21st, 2004 at 07:52 AM.

-ed & Naka, I looked at some of the links found by Google, and don't feel like I know much more than I did a couple of days ago! Bruno pulled his USB 2 card and all was good. Jack used different BIOS settings, so on and yadda. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find much common ground. Some of the links don't even specify the mainboard or hardware in the systems. No help at MS Knowledge Base or System Builder Forums that I could find.

Just haven't encountered this issue in my builds or customers machines. Anyone else had this happen in a hands-on situation? Naka, I know you've changed the memory, but was it same brand? Was it generic RAM? Most of my installation problems with W2K or XP have been memory related, with only a small number of issues directly caused by mainboards. Maybe if we get this thread back on "recent" list, someone who knows more will post a response.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    .. someone who knows more will post a response.
    He-he ! .... 'Bump' does that real good

Errrrrr I don't think there is anyone who really 'knows' ... I understand the problem in my own mind, but I'm none too sure I can explain it much better than I did before - it only applies to certain hardware combos of which there isn't any real forcasting, it particularly happens to 'home built' as the 'random' nature of that is less tested than pre-built ... Basically its to do with all the reporting processes in the OSI model getting muddled because between bios & chipset they got it 'wrong' in a 'pre-windows' environment ... if you can get windows 'up' it'll arbitrate & 'sort it' .. but you can't get it to the 'up' stage because of these conflicts, hence the advice of using minimum kit, to make the complications the least possible.

M$ don't see it as a problem because it isn't really their problem, its because certain hardware combos just run out of sharing combos as that's limited by pci slot, bios can fix this or new drivers or firmware for devices, or just putting them together in the 'right' way (which isn't always possible but mostly) .. Mup.sys never beat me on 'boot' anyway so far using this method, though I have had to change the odd bit of kit

Which d-link nic?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Uh, if I read naka's original post correctly, he tried doing a clean install with no expansion cards installed. If right, this would mean just RAM, video card and mainboard (onboard stuff was disabled as well). And he has played with BIOS settings AND swapped every other bit of hardware (I mean every!). Updated the BIOS, too. I believe only the mobo has stayed the same.

NP, where are you on this?

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    Uh, if I read naka's original post correctly, he tried doing a clean install with no expansion cards installed. If right, this would mean just RAM, video card and mainboard (onboard stuff was disabled as well). And he has played with BIOS settings AND swapped every other bit of hardware (I mean every!). Updated the BIOS, too. I believe only the mobo has stayed the same.

NP, where are you on this?
    ... I started reading your answer, arrrrrrrrrrrgh ! My bad !

ACPI on off ? or change it from what it was before ... at the minute we are saying windows won't load at all with those motherboards, (if we changed 'everything') I can't though see that being the case (bad mobo?) ... even if I do get confus-ed

slgrieb,
    that is correct. i've tried just about everything that i've lost track of what i've tried. i finally got a power supply which was the last thing to test but same results. just need to get another mobo and go with it. i've also read through a lot of mup.sys problems and there seems to be no single solution but all seem to point to hardware. sucks.

thanks to all for your suggestions....d

From gaseous clouds forming around Uranus
    Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    ... Basically its to do with all the reporting processes in the OSI model getting muddled because between bios & chipset they got it 'wrong' in a 'pre-windows' environment ...
    You mean an I/O error, right?
    "Oh my beloved Ice Cream Bar, how I love to lick your creamy center" - Ren

Quote Originally Posted by 3D Prophet III
    You mean an I/O error, right?
    Very probably ... ( nothings getting in or out though where it ought, I suppose I mean an I/O error between the various levels) its to do with the application, presentation & session layers of the osi, they fire because of bios & are meant to report to windows 'stuff' ready for translation to the next layer, which in turn creates the next layer, if windows can't arbitrate what it gets from bios it just gets stuck waiting for something it thought should happen to happen ... its waiting for a stage to get completed, but can't complete that as the error can't appear until the next layer is made available for it to report with, but the layer won't get made until the error reports ... catch 22.

So the answer 'usually' is to change the kit & hope ... mup.sys errors are if you ask me to do with 'iffy' h/w combos, always.