AVG vs Panda
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AVG vs Panda

AVG vs Panda

Hey Gang,

I ran an online virusscan with Panda last night. It uncovered 6 trojans that AVG paid version didn't find.

Question: Does this mean that Panda is better than AVG or does it mean that my installation of AVG was corrupted by the recent virus attack it suffered last week.

I thought my AVG installation was repaired. I make sure it is updated every day but I didn't reinstall it after the attack .
    Bouncy Bouncy

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    Aren't "trojans" a fuzzy area for some AV companies? Not strictly a virus, and yet ...
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Yes, an anti-virus package may or may not concern itself much with trojans, likewise spyware and other types of malware. An antivirus can be expected to concentrate its energy on self-replicating code that will actively spread infection, trojan detection could be regarded as a "bonus".

In the same way that it's wise to scan for spyware, dedicated trojan checking is a better option than relying on an anti-virus.

Quote Originally Posted by The Computer Valet
    Aren't "trojans" a fuzzy area for some AV companies? Not strictly a virus, and yet ...

'Malware' is viruses, worms & trojans ...

3 things, 3 bits of s/w that do those well or 1 bit that does all 'fair' ? ... mmmm ! but its better than 1 bit doing 3 jobs & probably not 2 of them at all !

The moral of the story: switch to NAV!
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    The moral of the story: switch to NAV!
    I think that's one bit ... 'going fair' & some might say that's 'nice'!

They all suck. ALL OF EM!!!

Even my precious F-Secure is dropping the ball. If you install Fsecure and certain Firewalls like Sygate or Zone Alarm, Fsecure sometimes blows up the system. WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by meatwad
    They all suck. ALL OF EM!!!
    NAV 8 Corporate rocks! You can't say it sux until you see how it works. Our company has had NAV for years, yet no infection at all. However the home version is another story...
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

See here http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archiv...ts.xml?avg.xml Not exactly the best track record.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    See here http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archiv...ts.xml?avg.xml Not exactly the best track record.
    Thanks Hud,
    That's an eye-opener...

Result summary: 3 passes / 19 fails

BTW, what does VB say IS the best AV?
    Last edited by Orangeman; January 23rd, 2004 at 03:10 PM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Quote Originally Posted by Orangeman
    For the free version of avg !! (6! Orange if you pay you have 7 !) this goes back to 98 ! ... historically they were terrible, but figured it out this year -for free its pretty damn good.

Who the bloomin 'eck are these virus testing guys -some magazine ?

Quote Originally Posted by Orangeman
    Thanks Hud,
    That's an eye-opener...

BTW, what does VB say IS the best AV?
    Hard to say, as they grade everything pass/fail. Plus, false positives also fail a product, and they don't differentiate between those and failure to detect. As -ed rightly notes, some of the fails go back a ways. Even so, some of the products seem to have more consistent records. If you look here http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/index.xml you can look up the results by date or by vendor.

You can also look here http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communi...us/index.shtml and here http://www.av-test.org/

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    For the free version of avg !! (6! Orange if you pay you have 7 !) this goes back to 98 ! ... historically they were terrible, but figured it out this year -for free its pretty damn good.

Who the bloomin 'eck are these virus testing guys -some magazine ?
    But in this case -ed, Punkinhead was the tester. He had AVG Pro on his system all up do date when he was taken down by alll those virus'es. I think three altogether. Orange, go get the link to the thread and show him....ah I guess I will....

EDIT
    Yeah, here it is, just as an FYI to the forum:
    http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=54871
    Last edited by TripleRLtd; January 23rd, 2004 at 04:58 PM.

It all depends on what you want to call a virus a trojan or a worm as to how good any of these are !

& who actually says whats any good or not ? - I don't know what you might call an 'authorative' NET guide on this subject, as anyone who expresses an opinion seems to have some involvement with a vendor !

I have a friend who is a security officer for a footsie 100 'financial' company, he spends most of his life testing them ... his wise words are 'nothing can stop them, completely, because new ones appear daily' he also has 'many mutterings' on the subject of 'test viruses' ... I'll clean that up & say 'Virus vendors please stop publishing 'test viruses' as you show new ways to the silly people who write them' ... (there were a lot of Fs in his answer ) - he says the most effective way to limit 'net nasties' is just limit where you go in cyberspace, which seems pretty damn good advice.

He says the best av product is sophos, & he says the measure to beat is VeriTest analysis, but I'm not so sure I believe even that (as of course they sell anti-virus stuff too )

But if you want a really cynical approach (i'm usually good for that !) ... all the need for anti-malware approaches means is that windows is completely insecure ! Now why ain't that a surprise !?!

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    But in this case -ed, Punkinhead was the tester. He had AVG Pro on his system all up do date when he was taken down by alll those virus'es. I think three altogether. Orange, go get the link to the thread and show him....ah I guess I will....

EDIT
    Yeah, here it is, just as an FYI to the forum:
    http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=54871
    Yep,

That was the original post that was the beginning of my problem. If I had sense enough to figure it out I would have suspected something immediatley. Any time there is a sudden growth in a single file that isn't supposed to grow, maybe its a virus.

Heuristic scan should have gotten it but it didn't.

Anyway, I am still in the dark as to the best. I've heard AVG, then Panda, Now Sophos. I guess its not a question of finding out which one it is an buying it.

It kind of take me back to an earlier post about a lady who went 5 years without a virus. Somebody mentioned the best protection against viruses is intelligence - like staying away from file sharing sites.

Anyway, that's another forum....and I've learned my lesson...
    Bouncy Bouncy