Have an xbox? Have a problem?

View Poll Results: Do you have an xbox and have you had problems with it?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I own an xbox, but i have not had any problems with it.

6 50.00%
  • Yes, i have an xbox, and have had some problems with it, but have done nothing about it.

1 8.33%
  • Yes, i have an xbox, and had to send it in to get repaired.

1 8.33%
  • No, i dont have an xbox

4 33.33%

Thread: Have an xbox? Have a problem?

Have an xbox? Have a problem?

I have had my xbox since it was launched.(technically 3 days after launch) and it has been performing relativly well. In november, i purchased and extended warranty from MS. it cost $26 for one year, and I am sure glad i bought it. Recently though it started giving me problems. Certain games would lock up hard...never in the same place..but frequently. if i were to look at the disc, there were no scratches or finger prints. sometimes during video cut scenes or intros, it would freeze for 15-20 seconds, then play..and do this several times. occasionally it would tell me that the disc is damaged or dirty, even though it isnt. and recently one game would boot up with only audio.. no video signal at all. all of these games that gave me problems work perfectly fine on several of my friend's xboxes. Being a first generation xbox, it had a Thompson DVD drive, and according to what i read online, there are alot of problems with the thompson drives. SO i called and arranged for it to be sent in for repair. they sent me an empty box for me to ship it in, and they pay for shipping both ways. I packed it up and shipped it out last monday. Aiborn express came and picked it up about 3pm.(southwestern NY) and shipped it to Tennesee. when i came home from work on friday, there was a not saying they tried to deliver it, but i wasnt there to sign for it. (friday about 10, at my apartment in northwestern PA) I had told them to ship it to where i work, like they did with the empty box, but they apparetnly decided not to do that. SO i had to call them Friday night and ask them to deliver it to where i work on monday. SO today about lunch time my xbox arrived. THey dont indicate what was wrong with it, although i suspected the DVD drive. I used a paper clip and ejected the drive to find out that they did replace it. I had a Thompson drive before, and now i have a samsung.(which is supposed to be the best out of the three they use). i will have to wait till i get home tonight to try it out...I am hoping that all of my saved games, and 400 songs are still intact on the hard drive. I backed up my games to memory cards, but the songs will take forever to put back on.

I use my xbox pretty heavily, and i am really suprised that it has lasted this long without problems, especially since so many people had problems with the thompson drives.

so, do you guys have an xbox? if so, have you had any problems with it?

i highly reccomend purchasing the extended warranty. it is $26/year, and it doesnt matter if your original warranty has already run out, you can still purchase and extended warranty. That way if you do have a problem, they pay for the shipping both ways, and fix yoru xbox for no additional charge. $26 is well worth the security of knowing it will be protected. and their service is really fast. they told me 7 to 10 days from when i shipped it. but i shipped it monday afternoon and it was back friday morning. as long as it works when i get home, i am very pleased with their service.
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

Had mine for over a year and a half now with no problems at all.
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

I put a soderless mod chip in mine and fried mine, so it just sits the collecting dust, might sell my games controllers, dvd play back and the system on ebay, maybe for like $100 or somthing... dunno

how did you kill it? i know several people who have installed mod chips and you are only the second one i heard about killing it. what went wrong? (just curious because i am thinking aobut installing one in mine)
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

Internet Linebacker
    I got mine in Oct 2002 (the day they started the JSRF/Sega GT 2002 & controller S bundle) and I had a few ocassional dirty disc errors recently, but a run through with a CD/DVD cleaning kit sorted that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra X
    I got mine in Oct 2002 (the day they started the JSRF/Sega GT 2002 & controller S bundle) and I had a few ocassional dirty disc errors recently, but a run through with a CD/DVD cleaning kit sorted that out.
    I fired mine up last night to see how it works. I tried two of the games that gave me real problems

Tony hawk 3 used to boot without video, it now runs fine

Soul Calibur 2 used to lock up frequently while playing the into movie, it played fine also.

the downside to all of this is that my hard drive is now empty. I dont know if they replaced it, or just formatted and reloaded it, but it is all gone. i backed up most of my saved games to memory cards, but some of them wouldnt let me, or wouldnt fit. i will also have to set up my xbox live again, download all of the content again, and probably the worst part, I lost 385 songs that i had ripped on there. that was a painfully slow process...so i will probably have to buy the music mixer so i can transfer them from my PC.

I've owned 2 (sold one cuz some kid made me an offer I coudln't refuse) and both work perfectly. In my circle of friends and family there is a total of 9 xbox and outta all of them, only 1 has read problems and that's because he has a thompson drive. 2 of them are modded and they work perfectly (one heavily modded with a chip and bigger HD).

You should check your serial #, they probably didn't even repair it, they just gave you a new box. as for you 400 mp3's, I recommend getting a Music Mixer software they sell. It's great for slappinh mp3's onto your xbox. i used to put mine on using some CD-RW's and that took forever, then my neice got the music mixer for xmas i borrowed it for a weekend and transfered over 300 songs with no problems.
    Today, a haiku:

Google, you f**ktard
    my fingers are so weary
    of repeating crap

Quote Originally Posted by delmer_1
    how did you kill it? i know several people who have installed mod chips and you are only the second one i heard about killing it. what went wrong? (just curious because i am thinking aobut installing one in mine)
    well when the mod chips first came out a year ago, I bought one like the second month I had mine, anywho I got a sodderless matrix mod chip, I poped it in seems to work, will not if i dont flash the thing first, so I get a bios for it flash it, then I put the mod chip back in. I startup the xbox, it reboots 3 times like it should, now its doing the christmas light effect red/green not orange/green, this means that the mobo is bad, or the mobo cant find the bios. So I took out the mod chip and will been that way since. Ive checked all connections and cant figure it out. I later found that many many people with the same chip had the same problem... go figure

i think if you install a mod chip it voids your warrenty

Hello Hello, Yes hello to me and hello to you, I am the Crap On and i live in a zoo and its such a friendly old zoo and such fun you'll enjoy yes you will everyone, every two will enjoy it, every three, every four. so come visit my zoo and come up on four.

http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by [NeoZeeD]
    i think if you install a mod chip it voids your warrenty
    But of course ! opening the box voids your warranty, never mind soldering things in it !

i thought about modding this one and buying a new one. i would like to install a really large hard drive and rip my good games to the hard drive..that way when i travel to my friends houses, i wouldnt have to take my games case...(48 right now, im trying not to buy them as often)